Are all male ducks aggressive?

puddleducks2329

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
East Chatham
Are all male ducks aggressive?

Been reading a little about male ducks- are they all aggressive?
My drake runner has been attacking me now and then around feeding time and when i collect eggs- i poke him back or pick him up and feed him separately (he has his moments where he is not letting some of the girls eat.)
Do the Drakes get worst as they get older- and do all male ducks exhibit this type of behavior? Are some duck breeds more aggressive than others?

Quote:
If you'll look around on the duck thread you'll find some of us have been going through this with our young drakes. Mine was house raised and is having a problem discovering where he is in the pecking order, so i have to do as you and put him in his place, I don't pick him up anymore or pet him I will still talk to him but he does alot better if I keep my hands to myself.

My drakes are little gentlemen at feed time, they stand back and let all the girls eat first. I rarely see any signs of aggression in my runners- especially in comparison to some of the other breeds I have kept. Is he the only drake you have? I am just wondering if being one of many drakes is somewhat contributing to his behaviour.

I have Muscovy and honestly.. like a dog if you don't teach them manors you will have trouble. In the spring hormones fly and you can't really do allot then, however the rest of the year they should have mannors and you can teach them.

I once had some scovies that were aggressive to other breeds of ducks like my pekins. But i normally cull out any birds i have that have aggression issue when it comes time for the freezer call.

Glad to hear that not all drakes are aggressive. I have one drake and six ducks. How does one go about training a drake not to nip or lunge. I am not sure i mind him being protective of his flock just not with me.

I am still the evil monster that has fed them every day or thier lives. My Pekin drakes were Easter babies. I have never had a drake become aggressive, but nor were they coddled. They also free-range during the day.

In general, my older ducks love to be around me and talk to me, but they keep their distance. The youngers are afraid of me.

After reading stories of drake agression, now, I don't feel so badly that my ducks were never petting pets.

i have a perfect little gentlemen myself. he really only gets aggressive when he's molting or when his mate is laying eggs. my pekin drake is not aggressive at all. he's silly

Back
Top Bottom