Are all roosters mean?

I took in a roo who is a year old.He is great.Never once attacked me or the kids despite my chasing after him and/or the girls to pick up.I just hope he isn't so nice with the hawks!
Here is my roo Jack Sparrow:
38921_021.jpg

Once again, I'll weigh in with "Minnie Rose Luvgreens Recipe for raising chickens" ( you can order her book) and her recipe for a mean rooster.

Quote: "I had one too that pecked at my legs, so I swatted him with a piece of board. He watches out for me now."

While don't think he can be trained to be a petting rooster , I think he can be trained not to charge you, so you might want to try. If you have a mind to keep him.

As far as all roosters being mean, definitely not. I have two Delaware, two black, two white, one lavender, one buff orpington , one lav Amercicauna roosters. None is mean and that was commented on yesterday by a visitor. I don't have crowing problem either. They all run the yard together and there is no fighting. But then I run a Christian flock and they go to church on Sunday. (just kidding).
lol.png

Now I do have three BR roosters and they're not quite peopleized but time will tell. I doubt they'll be mean. I also have a Brnlghn bantam and I think he might not be so friendly but then I don't give him a great deal of attention either. He will peck at my hand on occasion.

A good rooster is an essential part of any flock IMO. Not just to make babies. A good rooster will keep order and watch out for the girls. "The rooster can also act as referee. When 2 hens start fighting, the rooster will go between them and settle the fight. Then if they're not satisfied and start fighting again, he'll go back over and talk to them again, to say, shame on you, and then they quit." - Minnie Rose

I wish everyone the best,

Rancher

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what he does. When you turn his back or walk away. I don't know how to determine if he is blind. I think he sees ok.
I will try to carry him more often and stop pushing him away with shovel so he doesn't become more people aggressive.

I find that fear aggression roosters are the easiest to cure and the most forgivable. They think they need to get you before you get them and they do it when they think you're the most vulnerable. It's totally defensive and they aren't challenging you. In fact, they don't want to fight with you at all. Lots of handling and treats work well. Totally different from how I would deal with normal aggression. My Ameraucana rooster is about 99.9% cured by him getting used to having me around and by hand feeding treats. He acts like he might try charging at me on occasion but he doesn't anymore.

Back
Top Bottom