Are all roosters rough on the hens?

Jeff Cooper

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
My White Leghorn rooster is pretty rough on my hens and I suspect he is the cause of three of them losing back feathers. My mixed flock of 9 is about 13 months old.

Are all roosters likely to be this rough?

Will the hen's feathers grow back if he is traded out for another rooster?

No, all roosters are not like that. My Rhode island is a gentleman. I've had leghorn roosters...they ended in...death by dinner. They were not nice. They upset my hens and made them scream..so away with dinner😁

No, not all roosters are. A lot of cockerels when they're figuring out how to mate can be pretty rough but they often figure it out. With that being said, not all of them do and I would suggest trying hen saddles to protect the hens if you want to try to keep him for a while or perhaps swapping out for a different rooster.
My head rooster is very polite. So far I've had no issues with bareback tens and he tid bits them and tries to seduce them before mating with them.

It is a two way street. Some hens have delicate feathers. Sometimes in late summer the feathers are old and worn out, and then rooster usage shows.

Some roosters are just very rough, or have rough nails, some people trim their feet.

Barebacks bother people more than hens. If you hens love their rooster, hanging on his every tidbit...don't fret. If they are hiding in the hen house to avoid him, he would be culled.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom