Are all three pullets??? (please?!)

Pics
The predominate color I've gotten when I've cross my EE with a BO is a white bird with black tipped feathers. Some of them do get a slight buff-ish cast to them, but are mostly white. Twice, I've gotten a gorgeous dark orange, with green tipped feathers. One was a drop dead gorgeous rooster with an attitude problem (RIP). The other was a hen.

The other interesting genetic thing I've noticed, is about half the hens inherit the pea comb of the EE. Of those, they have all laid green/blue eggs. The other half inherit a single comb, and they all lay light brown eggs. Weird, huh?

Here are some pictures of my hens. The first is Big Orange. She was so huge, I would have thought she was a rooster but for her green legs. The second picture is of one of the white offspring and you can also see my rooster, Duke, in the picture.

View attachment 1469209

View attachment 1469212

wow...Duke is gorgeous! Did you happen to take a picture of the orange rooster before he...uh...departed? ;-) I wonder why so many of yours turned out white...musta been a real strong trait in his genetics, no? I thought it was interesting that both my BO/EE crosses were mostly buff. Shoot...Charlotte's comb looks like it's going "single"...small as it is, it's still a nice long straight one. :-\ I was hoping for some more blue eggs! ...guess I'll have to keep trying! ;-) Thanks for the pics and all the info! I find this absolutely fascinating! I love hearing about the crosses and what happens with them...too cool!

Thanks! Your Gregory Peck reminded me a lot of Duke. He is really handsome as well.

No pictures of the orange rooster, I'm afraid. Let me know what color eggs Charlotte ends up laying. I'd be interested in knowing whether the pea comb = blue eggs is universal or just some weird quirk or coincidence in my flock.

Thanks! Your Gregory Peck reminded me a lot of Duke. He is really handsome as well.

No pictures of the orange rooster, I'm afraid. Let me know what color eggs Charlotte ends up laying. I'd be interested in knowing whether the pea comb = blue eggs is universal or just some weird quirk or coincidence in my flock.

Well better late than never I always say...sorry...i lost sight of this thread and never saw it again!! I meant to answer! Charlotte turns out to have what i call a "pea comb plus"...its a little bigger than i would have expected, but not big enough to call it a single. She lays greenish eggs..
Slightly smaller than the rest of the girls, but her mommy's are on the smaller side too, so no big surprise. Ive got 4 week old chicks again, and one is hers(i think the only one of 5 thats a girl). I'm curious to see what her half-siblings/nieces/nephews turn out to be...they are a cross between a buff orp(her mom) and her half-brother, who is a cross between two EEs. All three of those look like she did as a baby, and they all have green legs, but I'm seein some chest bumping going on, so I'm thinkin maybe the leg color doesnt hold for further generational crosses? The fifth chick is most likely a cockerel...that one is almost always the one instigating the chestbumping. I'm just hoping for at LEAST ONE pullet from the bunch!

Back
Top Bottom