Are all wood chips safe for a chicken run?

Pics

nicosturla

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
I’ve decided to use wood chips in my chicken run as it can get muddy. Are all wood chips safe options? I have some playground wood chips, but I don’t know what kind.

It depends on the wood for sure, stay away from Cedar (toxic) and Pine (toxic), I'd recommend aspen shavings/chips, but beware that theres different quality aspen and some have tons of chemicals. If you use peat moss (not really wood) change it very reguarly, "silent mold" is extremely common if left in for more than 2 weeks.

and Pine (toxic),

Pine is not toxic. The people who claim that are usually trying to sell you something different.

If pine were toxic it wouldn't be used by millions of commercial operations operating on tight margins where even a fractional percentage of loss or gain can make or break the entire business.

Eastern Red Cedar gives off strong fumes that can cause significant respiratory irritation. Western Cedar is less aromatic and thus less irritating -- probably OK for use in the run.

Walnut is probably OK for the chickens but the juglone that inhibits plant growth might not compost away sufficiently to allow using the chicken compost in your garden.

Other than that, wood chips are generally safe.

There's been so many studies that have shown pine to be toxic to chickens, though? Most aren't even from sellers, I'm not sure what you're on about.
Pine is not toxic. The people who claim that are usually trying to sell you something different.

If pine were toxic it wouldn't be used by millions of commercial operations operating on tight margins where even a fractional percentage of loss or gain can make or break the entire business.

Eastern Red Cedar gives off strong fumes that can cause significant respiratory irritation. Western Cedar is less aromatic and thus less irritating -- probably OK for use in the run.

Walnut is probably OK for the chickens but the juglone that inhibits plant growth might not compost away sufficiently to allow using the chicken compost in your garden.

Other than that, wood chips are generally safe.

There's been so many studies that have shown pine to be toxic to chickens, though? Most aren't even from sellers, I'm not sure what you're on about.

If they were actually toxic the commercial farmers wouldn't be using them and stores wouldn't sell them for fear of lawsuits.

Don't be tricked by scaremongers. :)

If they were actually toxic the commercial farmers wouldn't be using them and stores wouldn't sell them for fear of lawsuits.

Don't be tricked by scaremongers. :)
Right, the commercial farmers for sure put the chickens first, which is why the average lifespan is 5 for commercial chickens. 🙄 Most commercial farmers use metal "bedding" or straw anyways. Also, if I had a nickel for every time stores have sold something dangerous for animals id have thousands of nickels (As both a dog and chicken person). Writing off the literal HUNDEREDS of studies done on different bedding and their effects as people trying to sell you things is pretty messed up, seeing all the effort scientists have put into experimenting. Stop following the crowd, just because a lot of people do or use it, doesn't mean it's safe or right.

Right, the commercial farmers for sure put the chickens first, which is why the average lifespan is 5 for commercial chickens. 🙄 Most commercial farmers use metal "bedding" or straw anyways. Also, if I had a nickel for every time stores have sold something dangerous for animals id have thousands of nickels (As both a dog and chicken person). Writing off the literal HUNDEREDS of studies done on different bedding and their effects as people trying to sell you things is pretty messed up, seeing all the effort scientists have put into experimenting. Stop following the crowd, just because a lot of people do or use it, doesn't mean it's safe or right.

The farmers' livelihood depends on the welfare of their animals.

If the animals were wallowing around in toxic bedding -- dying or failing to grow properly -- the farmers would lose money. So even if the farmers *were* the awful people you think they are they'd do everything possible to keep their birds healthy.

I suppose it could be.
If birds were stuck with lots of fresh pine shavings in a closed coop with no ventilation.
Water can be toxic too. ;)
Your views are extreme to the point of dislogic.

The farmers' livelihood depends on the welfare of their animals.

If the animals were wallowing around in toxic bedding -- dying or failing to grow properly -- the farmers would lose money. So even if the farmers *were* the awful people you think they are they'd do everything possible to keep their birds healthy.
The chickens don't live long enough to see the effects, pine shaving don't directly kill a chicken, but it can in other ways, by causing cancer in the lungs, impacting the digestive system and causing crop impactions, and cell damage. How about instead of trying to hold up this myth, you actually research it.

Back
Top Bottom