Are all wood chips safe for a chicken run?

I would use mulch in a run. The bigger pieces will last longer and do a better job of keeping your fowl up out of the mud. Than shavings will. I buy mulch from a local sawmill. All hardwood, no coloring or insecticides added. The best thing is the price! A scoop that piles the full length of my 12 ft. X 7 ft. utility trailer. About 3 ft. high. Is $35!
What do they do here, grind up the bark cutoffs?
Go pics @Silexian ?

Next
Kraft, LM
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19980197471/downloads/19980197471.pdf?attachment=true

This one is really easy to read. I don't think it supports Miyamoto's paragraph but it is worth reading for how she addressed the subject.

I liked this from the reference:

I bet you any money that you cannot find a bedding
That will give a mousie comfort from unmitigated wetting,
That will be both hygroscopic but yet dry the critter not,
That will burn just when you want it to, but not burn very hot,
That contains no toxins, viruses, no fast fermenting bug,
That is stored with ease in cubbyholes or underneath your rug,
That smells good both to man and beast before it's messed upon
As well as after usage when its wasted youth is gone,
That will do the universal task of cutting variation
To give test results with only zero standard deviation. i
With aims so high And motives so deep,
I wonder why ft should also be cheap

--Lisbeth M Kraft,

Edited to add: Also, I'm pretty sure I would like (would have liked?) someone that included this in a serious, professional paper!

Last edited:
Actually it hasn't.

And if it had no one would dare sell it as animal bedding for fear of lawsuits.
Just something to consider beyond the risk/reward tolerance set by folks: Studies can produce highly reliable statistically significant effects due to varying factors. While being highly significant statistically, one must assess whether there is a practical effect. That is, will the factor in question produce any kind of practically meaningful effect, e.g., serious deleterious health issues in the target population, namely, chickens.

Just something to consider beyond the risk/reward tolerance set by folks: Studies can produce highly reliable statistically significant effects due to varying factors. While being highly significant statistically, one must assess whether there is a practical effect. That is, will the factor in question produce any kind of practically meaningful effect, e.g., serious deleterious health issues in the target population, namely, chickens.

Indeed.

I liked this from the reference:

I bet you any money that you cannot find a bedding
That will give a mousie comfort from unmitigated wetting,
That will be both hygroscopic but yet dry the critter not,
That will burn just when you want it to, but not burn very hot,
That contains no toxins, viruses, no fast fermenting bug,
That is stored with ease in cubbyholes or underneath your rug,
That smells good both to man and beast before it's messed upon
As well as after usage when its wasted youth is gone,
That will do the universal task of cutting variation
To give test results with only zero standard deviation. i
With aims so high And motives so deep,
I wonder why ft should also be cheap

--Lisbeth M Kraft,

Edited to add: Also, I'm pretty sure I would like (would have liked?) someone that included this in a serious, professional paper!

"Would have liked" seems to be the correct tense:

Obituary, Lizbeth M. Kraft

She was an active, productive, scientist and veterinarian. Her research included a substantial bit of time in NASA. Apparently, she was also somewhat of a linguist, since she translated some other neurobiology papers into English. To cap it off, in retirement she was apparently an artist and supporter of artistic endeavors.

When I see someone like this that has made the contributions to society that she did, I regret that I have done so little. :hmm

SAYSFAA, thanks for the rabbit hole that I could chase down for a little while. :)

Last edited:
Go pics @Silexian ?
Yes, they have a machine that strips the the bark off of the logs. It then gets blown into a pile. That they then sell as mulch. I mainly use it in our flower beds. I also use it to keep the area in front of our horses loafing shed from being so muddy. Since it is fairly cheap. I keep small pile out by our compost pile. Just so the chickens can scratch around in it also.
Go pics @Silexian ?

Attachments

• 62CC8D65-43DC-4BDB-B457-4E10A2F4BC8C.jpeg
    62CC8D65-43DC-4BDB-B457-4E10A2F4BC8C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
I’ve decided to use wood chips in my chicken run as it can get muddy. Are all wood chips safe options? I have some playground wood chips, but I don’t know what kind.
I use sand in the run. It dries poop quickly and I use a leaf rake and sifting screen or kitty litter scoop for a quick cleanup. I think if you are dealing with a run that gets muddy, the wood chips would retain the moisture and create other unwanted problems. I use pine shavings in the coop for the deep litter method and compost it for mulch.

I’ve decided to use wood chips in my chicken run as it can get muddy. Are all wood chips safe options? I have some playground wood chips, but I don’t know what kind.
I use pine shavings in the coop, when I clean them out they go in the run to keep down mud, then they go to the compost then the garden - I get the best bang for my buck!! I really love the pine shavings because they dry any poop that gets on the coop floor so it can be easily cleaned up. Don't use cedar though.

Back
Top Bottom