Are ameraucana chicks usually mean?

Madisan

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2015
Florida
Hi guys,
I have 2 ameraucana chicks right now (4 weeks old) and I have them in with my 2 barred rock chicks (5 weeks old). Both of the ameraucanas have totally different personalities. One is very shy and kinda hangs out in the back minding its own business but the other one is MEAN! Every time I go to reach my hand in their enclosure it flies up and pecks my hand and scratches it (like roosters do when they fight) and I noticed it is doing it to my barred rock chicks and the other ameraucana. One of my barred rock chicks is a cockerel. I found out when it was only 2 weeks old because it started developing a comb and wattles now it's comb and wattles are very red and starting to get big. But anyways, this chick has no signs of being a cockerel I'm almost 100% certain it's a pullet. But why is it so mean? Did I just get a mean chick? Or are ameraucanas known for being meaner than most?
Thanks!

I have three EE and one is sweet as pie and so passive she gets picked on all the time to the point that I built a little condo inside the coop for her. My hubby thinks I'm ridiculous but she's my favorite and I refuse to get rid of her. My other two kinda bully her But so does the rest of my flock. I have 9 hens total. 3 EE, 2 RIR, 2 black sex link', and two mix breed whites.
They might be trying to establish a pecking order but if You want to reset it desperate her for a few days. She might calm down

Personalities differ, sometimes a lot. It can be more difficult to sex EEs or Ameraucanas, so your little beast might be a very obnoxious cockrel after all. Some pullets aren't so nice either, and if this chick is really bad, it might have to go. Be ready to squelch aggression towards you for sure. Mary

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I really hope it's not a cockerel because I've already decided to keep the barred rock cockerel. She's just so gorgeous! But mean lol. But I am tired of getting pecked at by her every time I wanna do anything with them!

I send agressive birds to Freezer camp. I aint got time for that mess. AND if allowed to breed i have found the aggressive behavior doesnt fall far from the tree...

I send agressive birds to Freezer camp. I aint got time for that mess. AND if allowed to breed i have found the aggressive behavior doesnt fall far from the tree...

Lol! And yeah I agree. It's only 4 weeks and it's mean to me and all the other chicks around it

When he displays the aggression, grab him by the feathers on the back of his neck, and hold his head down to the ground, until he ceases to struggle. Do this every time. Or you can peck him back with your finger. Every time you correct him, say NO! Or you could have a box handy, and when he displays aggression to you, plop him in the box until you're finished doing what you came to do. Take your time finishing your chicken chores, while you're at it! They can be trained. But, some birds are beyond training. they make wonderful soup. If training doesn't work, you may need to remove him before he is soup worthy. My roo knows the meaning of the word "NO!" I'm convinced he knows his name, also! When he's chasing down a pullet, I verbally reprimand him, and he will stop, give me the "You talking to me?" look, and go find something else to do.

My EE are sweet and are more flighty and shy than my other birds that were all chosen for temperament.
I would not allow a bird to peck at me, even if I have to hold it down at the ground for a lesson.
The only time a bird charged at me was when I had a rooster, so you might have an unusually aggressive EE if she's actually a pullet.

Hi guys,
I have 2 ameraucana chicks right now (4 weeks old) and I have them in with my 2 barred rock chicks (5 weeks old). Both of the ameraucanas have totally different personalities. One is very shy and kinda hangs out in the back minding its own business but the other one is MEAN! Every time I go to reach my hand in their enclosure it flies up and pecks my hand and scratches it (like roosters do when they fight) and I noticed it is doing it to my barred rock chicks and the other ameraucana. One of my barred rock chicks is a cockerel. I found out when it was only 2 weeks old because it started developing a comb and wattles now it's comb and wattles are very red and starting to get big. But anyways, this chick has no signs of being a cockerel I'm almost 100% certain it's a pullet. But why is it so mean? Did I just get a mean chick? Or are ameraucanas known for being meaner than most?
Thanks!
True Ameraucana are generally very gentle. Hatchery sourced Easter Eggers, on the other hand, are not bred with temperament in mind. There can be a huge range from extremely flighty, to cuddle in your lap with Easter Eggers.

Last year I had one that was very aggressive. At 5 weeks old he was crowing, and at 7 weeks he tried to kill one of my barred rock chicks. We didn't keep him around.

Back
Top Bottom