Are Americauna hens quiet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by DebinAZ, Mar 19, 2008.

1. DebinAZ

DebinAZ New Egg

Mar 19, 2008
    I live in town...do you think that 3 Americauna hens would bother the neighbors?

Deb

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It will depend on the bird as some make more noise than others. The most noise will occur if they get spooked or during egg laying time. Welcome and best of luck!

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have two, they are on opposite ends of the quietness spectrum, get them then see how they are. [​IMG] heres hoping for a quiet hen.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    to me they dont make much noise less they are getting rady to lay or theyve layed their egg.like said if they get scared they will sound off.

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    They are about the same as any other chicken. IF you want them get them.

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read on these boards that if you are buying from a hatchery they are more likely to be Easter Eggers (mutts) so genetically they will be "random". My bantams were quite, I had a cockerel that nobody in the neighborhood noticed...

7. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    My Americauna hens are the quietest of all my chickens. I got a couple more this year for that reason.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My bantam ameraucana are very quiet little ladies. Now the roos are another story, but the girls..you wouldn't even know I had them if you didn't see them. Quiet and gentle.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by