are any of these breeds flighty?...delaware, wyandotte, rhode island red, welsummer??

samana

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Just a quick question ..in any of your experience, are any of these breeds flighty? Any more flighty than the other? I want to avoid flighty or especially adventurous breeds...otherwise my neighbors dog (6 ft fence) will have a nice meal! :/

delaware
wyandotte
rhode island red
welsummer

None of those DP breeds would be considered flighty.

I raise Black Penedesencas which, anyone who has had them, would call flighty. That said, they are very respectful of fences and most of my fences are 3'. My rooster pen is 2' and they never get out.
I've had Jersey Giants (biggest breed) fly out of any height fence once they knew there was food on the other side.
So IMO 'flighty' isn't synonymous with 'escape pens;.

As an adult, the highest I've seen my Wyandottes reach is about 3 feet. When juveniles, chickens are stronger but haven't put on the weight yet so most breeds could probably get close. My Dominique (who is a lighter bird) could get 5 feet without trying too hard (unclipped). I'm not sure how she'd do if she was motivated now. Mine have lots of space so it's easier for them to just move to another part of the yard than to try and fly over the fence.

ok great thanks sounds like I haven't got too much to worry about

I have quite a few breeds of chickens and they all like to roost in the rafters of our pole barn. The rafters are probably about 15 feet off the ground and everyone flies up there. The only one that does not roost high is our Jersey Giant Rooster. We have Rhode Island Reds, California Whites, Silver laced Wyandotes, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex and Favorelles. Your best option may be to clip their wings.

The only breed I have experience with from that list are welsummers. My wellie hen isn't flighty, but she is one of the "bright" ones of the flock (her and the dominiques and our brahma!). She is also the flock leader right after our rooster, so if she decides SHE wants to go off in a different direction from everyone else, she will. If no one follows, after a distance she will slow down and start calling....and then everyone else joins HER. Very little really bothers her, and she has survived being attacked and carried by a roving dog once.

Actually, the only flighty member of our flock is our EE. She's beautiful, lays like a champ, and comes whenever she's called, but you'd half expect her to fall over from a heart attack at any minute, because she's so high strung!

Back
Top Bottom