Are bantams more friendly than large fowl?

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I hatched a bunch of Bantam Cochin/Chocolate English Orpington chicks this week. This is my first experience with bantams or bantam crosses. One thing I noticed is that these chicks are more "people oriented" than any of my LF (large fowl) chicks, even ones I incubated. By day 2 or 3, the LF chicks would get frightened anytime anyone came near their brooder and run to the other side. In contrast, these chicks seek out human attention. When ever I walk past they pop out from under the heater plate and watch me. When I talk to them and put my hand in the brooder at least 5-6 of them come up to investigate and 1-2 will hop in my hand. They don't mind being picked up either. The LF chicks usually cheep their heads off when being held. These chicks are chill about being held and carried about.

My thinking is that bantams have probably been bred more heavily for friendliness than LF because they are more likely to be pets than LF birds.

Has anyone else noticed this?

For me it depends.

My bantams certainly have had a stronger tendency toward human friendly behaviour.

I have however had several LF that were very human oriented. I think breed has a lot to do with that.
My human friendly LF have been BO, BA and Delaware and Brahmas.

If asked what ratio tend to be friendly I would say 60% of the bantams and just 10% of the LF.

I haven't had a full grown chicken yet that likes being handled. I have a few BO and NH hens that like following me around them pen when I work, but I think that is because I'm the dispenser of treats. I find my Delaware hens to be pushy, bossy, and demanding. They like to bite if I'm not quick in dispensing the treats (or didn't bring any). I've had to do some of BeeKissed "rooster training" on them. I'm not sure which breed you mean by BA and I've haven't had any Brahmas yet.

Thanks!

BA=black Australorp.

Miss Lillian Underfoot was my very friendly Delaware. She would rather be carried around the yard then walk. Must be that she came from a flock bred for temperament.

Most of my birds will follow me around but very few have ever sought out human touch. None run from me.

:confused:

BA=black Australorp.

Miss Lillian Underfoot was my very friendly Delaware. She would rather be carried around the yard then walk. Must be that she came from a flock bred for temperament.

Most of my birds will follow me around but very few have ever sought out human touch. None run from me.

:confused:
I realized before opening your response what BA meant. Brain-fart! I haven't had my tea yet.

Mine will come close to me but run if I try to touch them. There are a few that will put up with it once I have a hold of them, but they don't like it.

Maybe size of flock has something to do with it too.

My big group is 24 and my Cochin group is 6.

My crooked beaked BO gets handled often so I can monitor her condition. She does not flinch at all when I pick her up.

Maybe size of flock has something to do with it too.

My big group is 24 and my Cochin group is 6.

My crooked beaked BO gets handled often so I can monitor her condition. She does not flinch at all when I pick her up.
Yeah.... It's harder to handle birds when you have 99 of them.

Though I'm handling 3 to freezer camp today. They've been beating each other up. Two of the 3 had bloody combs when I moved them to death row this morning.

I have spent a lot of time with my bantams, had not thought too much about it. These last ones are 7 weeks old and when they see me come outside they come running to me. If I am on my knees pulling grass or weeds , they are between my hands just all around me. Occasionally a toe gets in my fingers , instead of a root and there is a little squeak and a little jerk..... My friends tease me and say they are impersonated on me... I have 85 of them but never had any chicken so friendly as Bantams.

My bantam chicks are only 8 days old, but I noticed already that my cochins are much more people oriented than my polish or even silkies. The cochin are happy to approach, hang out and like to snuggle. The polish are curious and adventurous but not snuggly, and the silkies are kind of indifferent and just chill doing their own thing. Totally different personalities, all bantams.

I'm raising large breed chicks right now that are very friendly.
My small birds are also very friendly.
Training and handling seems to matter more than breed, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom