Are beans good sources of protein for chickens

chickentender8

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
I have a molting EE, and I am trying to find some sources of protein for her, because I have read that she needs that to help grow her feathers back. Since it is getting colder because of winter, I want her to have feathers to keep her warm. I have read that beans are good sources of protein, does anyone know which ones and how do I give them to her, whole mashed? Just not sure. I am looking for sources of protein that I may have here at the house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!!!

Scrambled eggs are great for protein. Meal worms too. IDK about beans. But if you do give them to your flock, I know they are supposed to be cooked.
If you are okay giving meat (they eat bugs and other things, They are not vegetarians), use meat drippings to make a flock block. Add their feed, maybe some raisins and Sunflower seeds. Use the grease to hold it together.

I have a molting EE, and I am trying to find some sources of protein for her, because I have read that she needs that to help grow her feathers back. Since it is getting colder because of winter, I want her to have feathers to keep her warm. I have read that beans are good sources of protein, does anyone know which ones and how do I give them to her, whole mashed? Just not sure. I am looking for sources of protein that I may have here at the house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!!!

It does take protein to regrow feathers. What are you feeding them now? Regular laying chicken food has protein in it. The thought behind adding extra protein is that it just helps make it easier and faster for the chickens to regrow the feathers.
Scrambled eggs are great for protein. Meal worms too. IDK about beans. But if you do give them to your flock, I know they are supposed to be cooked.
If you are okay giving meat (they eat bugs and other things, They are not vegetarians), use meat drippings to make a flock block. Add their feed, maybe some raisins and Sunflower seeds. Use the grease to hold it together.

Great list, beans are a good source of protein, and DO need to be cooked.
Off the top of my head, I would add cheese, yogurt, cat food, seeds, and nuts to the list.

Imp

Soya is good too, but it needs to be cooked first. It's slightly poisonous when it's raw. Also give her greens like spinach or alfalfa.

I have a molting EE, and I am trying to find some sources of protein for her, because I have read that she needs that to help grow her feathers back

I am looking for sources of protein that I may have here at the house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!!!

If you aren't a vegetarian or vegan yourself, then finding a little extra protein around the house for one hen is fairly easy.

Because animal protein is complete (contains all the amino acids necessary for chickens), it only takes a little to help them out. I've heard 1/2 an ounce extra a day is enough as a supplement. That's it!

So just scraping the scrambled egg pan, giving her the drained water from your canned tuna or sardines (and rinse the can out and pour that over her feed), or as someone else mentioned the drippings from a roast ... that kind of thing can really make a difference.

Methionine is usually the most limiting amino acid in chicken feed. Since animal protein contains methionine, then that methionine from the animal protein you supply as an extra will go to help fill any gaps in the complete protein balance in the chicken feed that may remain (after their added methionine) that she's eaten for the day and that also becomes extra protein to help her grow new feathers. (Yeah, not the best of explanations, but I'd need to draw a picture to do any better and blabber on longer.)

Suffice it to say that if you drop a morsel of meat on the floor, do save it for your hen. It takes very little animal protein per day to help her grow back her feathers. Assuming, of course, that you are providing her with a regular balanced layer feed free choice.

You could also make a chicken apron or saddle for her to wear while she grows back her feathers or if it seems to be taking longer than you'd like for her to grow them back. I had to do that one winter because with one or two hens, molting began, but then feather pecking started, and then winter kicked in, and I didn't want my hens having exposed skin all winter.

I feed the hens regular layer feed. I was just looking for some extra protein to help her grow her feathers back as fast as possible. Thank you all for all the suggestions!
What is a chicken apron?

Back
Top Bottom