Are Black Astralorps nice?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mackenziesmomma, Jul 13, 2008.

1. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    I have a pair of australorp hens and I love them, i usually get an egg from both them almost everyday ( I kinda live in alot warmer weather than some on here)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    We have four Australorp hens who are very sweet. My kids pick them up and hold them all the time.

We also had an Australorp Roo who became very aggressive to my kids and was rehomed. There seems to be a theme here among Australorp Roos.

3. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    My hens are very quiet and docile. The BA roo is 6 months now and starting to become a little aggressive. I would recommend them though.

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My two hens are just perfect! I'd trade two Polish for one Australorp any day of the week!

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    They're a very nice bird and as someone said on here Kind...never pick on the others.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My black Australorp is the most sensible chicken I have. She is kind to the other girls but is still the leader. I swear she understands what I say, LOL! She goes back in her pen when I tell her to, and comes when I call her name. She will even go in her coop when I ask her to go to bed. She takes care of the other girls, and will clean their little faces and break up squabbles just like a mama. A good hen ~ worth five of any others, I'd say.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine is a real sweetie pie as well. Love my Betty. [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have two and they are very gentle and very quiet too.

9. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

Do ALL the roos become mean? If you handle them alot when they are little will they stay nicer?

10. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    My girls were very sweet and Alfalfa the rooster was very nice as well. He wasn't constantly underfoot like the hens, but he was never aggressive.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by