Are black sex-link chicks this small?

biretta

Songster
12 Years
Jun 7, 2007
Hello. I just got some chicks--2 EEs and supposedly a black sex linked. Does anyone know if black sex links are significantly smaller (like 33%) than other breeds, e.g. EEs, red sex links, or RIR? I had a red one and it definitely wasn't smaller than the rest, or at least by this much. Could it be that they sold me a bantam?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm. I'm thinking that they are banatms too. I'm hoping the feed store will let me do an exchange.

Thanks.

I got 2 of the wrong breed at my farm store last year-they were neck and neck with my bantams (I think the bantams were older) then they just started getting huge! Still not sure what they were-I gave them away.

Mine too, from mypetchicken is very small-half the size of the others (wynadottes, brahma) and where they have feathers on the wings now at a week old this little one barely has buds poking out. It is a black sex link and I have never had that breed before so I thought it was normal for them...wonder if she is a bantam?

My red sex link (not a bantam) is about 30% smaller than the other girls at almost a year old. But she was pretty much the same size as a chick, I think.

My black sex link was alot smaller than the BR chicks she was in with. Thats why I picked her out, I thought she was a runt. Turns out she was just mixed in with the wrong chicks.
When I went to a bird swap they had BSL chicks for sell. All small like mine. Don't worry about her size, she will catch up.

Okay, thanks for all of your input. I'm feeling much more reassured now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom