Are Brahmas (sp??) meat birds?

I was told to start out with heritage stock if you want to use them for meat because the hatchery stock isn't bred for size but laying ability. Mine were from a fellow NYC member and they are about five pounds liveweight now at 11weeks. I expect them to keep growing and butcher out the extra males at six months.

Quote:
I have also heard the same about hatchery birds being a bit scrawny for meat, my BCM's are from a local breeder as well, and they are the biggest of my girls by far! A few of my New Hampshires are a good size for hatchery birds, but the rest are still pretty small and I wouldn't expect much meat on them.

I actually prefer thigh meat to breast on my chicken, so I'm less concerned about the breast size and would rather get larger thighs and more flavor in a slightly older bird than huge breasted birds at 8 weeks.

Quote:
I have also heard the same about hatchery birds being a bit scrawny for meat, my BCM's are from a local breeder as well, and they are the biggest of my girls by far! A few of my New Hampshires are a good size for hatchery birds, but the rest are still pretty small and I wouldn't expect much meat on them.

I actually prefer thigh meat to breast on my chicken, so I'm less concerned about the breast size and would rather get larger thighs and more flavor in a slightly older bird than huge breasted birds at 8 weeks.

I am totally in agreement with you. I have always been a dark meat person but we use the breasts from the birds to make homemade chicken strips for sandwiches and salads or for making breast rolls like chicken cordon bleau or chicken broccoli and cheese. You don't neat a thick breast for that just a breast. Another bird I am really liking for meat is the Delaware. I have some young ones that I hatched out from breeder stock that has been grown for quickly maturing, good body weight and heritage type quality. They are 7 weeks right now and look like little melons when they walk they are big and very breasty. I still think I will have to grow them out for 24 weeks rather than 12 weeks but I think they will be a good size once they get there.

My main criteria for a meat bird is that it needs to be something that I can reproduce without buying more each year. This is one of the main reasons the CRX doesn't work for me. I would rather not pay but make my own meaties at home. So far the ones I have eaten have been really good and the only cost I pay is for feed and electricity for my incubator and brooder.

Last edited:
smile.png

Your Brahamas are beautiful! Going to have to ger some this Spring!

Here's a visual for you folks
wink.png

Hatchery Light Brahma hen on left, 3 years old. Non-hatchery Brahma pullet on right, 7 months old.

6248309743_8c16128b8a_z.jpg

6248834058_70a32c0b82_z.jpg

The hatchery girl is indeed molting but consider that she's definitely an adult, no more growing for her, and she weighs a MAX 6 lbs.

The pullet still has a lot of growing to do, and probably weighs a MIN of 7 lbs. Brahma hens should normally reach 9 lbs, some even more. I'm still waiting to see just how heavy this girl ends up being.

smile.png

On the non-hatchery stock, I could give you a similar pic on my Orpingtons. Hatchery hen, 2 years: 4 pounds. Breeder quality hen, 7 months: 6 pounds. If you're going for true dual purpose, it's very much worth the extra expense and bother to get good stock.

My Light Brahmas are 15 weeks this week and are now pushing close to 7 or 8 pounds. The Roo definitely outweighs the hens but all three are larger than my standard egg laying hens in the coop next door who are almost a year old. I have not seen any of the piggishness from them or the meanness to the hens. They seem very gentle and loving of all the chickens in their coop even to the point that I can start out babies at an earlier age (6 weeks versus 12 weeks in the other coop) because they will show them the ropes but aren't mean about it.

I wonder if the piggishness and poor behavior has something to do with breeding?

I know I have bought one bag of feed for this month and I put a scoop in the feeder about once a week. Other than that I haven't really had to give them much feed. They are more than happy to forage for bugs, worms and just about anything else they can find.

I will say though that if I call chick, chick, chick at the end of the day because I have a treat for them, they are always the first birds to come running to get their share. They will chirp at me but are not very scary at treat time and will take the treats right out of my hand nice and gently. So far I am still impressed. I am hoping to process my extras during December break so I will be able to get back to you then with pictures and let you know how they turned out.

Are Brahmas meat birds? I will let you know tonight after dinner.

Butchered my beautiful brahma rooster (at 27 weeks) Saturday after he took bites out of my granddaughter, Gypsy, three times in one day.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

Back
Top Bottom