Are BREEDERS required to tell the truth?

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
I just bought 4 hens from a local breeder. They have a nice website and the guy raising them was very personable and let me come to the farm. I drove an hour so was determined to get this started since I have too many roosters, but did notice all the chickens seemed somewhat dirty and disheveled. It was muddy and foggy out and I'm new at this. Unfortunately after getting them home, seems like lice and mites. I got two Lavender English Orpingtons, a Barred Rock and an Azure Blue. The lavenders were listed as two years old, so I didn't expect too many eggs, but we've gotten ONE egg from both and have had them 6 days now. Does that seem about right? A chicken owning neighbor told me you can request an official statement from breeders regarding the age and vaccination status of their chickens. Is this standard? I feel kind of shy about asking for this after the fact. I was going to go up and possibly get another Azure blue for this funny little chicken, since she kind of stands out and stays on her own, but it means being able to trust the breeder and going through treatment all over for one hen, so not sure.

request an official statement from breeders regarding the age and vaccination status of their chickens. Is this standard?
I have never, ever heard of this. But it could be a state thing.

Stress causes birds to stop laying. The amount of eggs vs length of time you've had them doesn't sound too strange when accounting that they were moved to a completely different location. Are you quarantining?

On the health, a good breeder should not be selling birds with any sort of malady, and parasites definitely count. I would not buy from them again.

On eggs, after changing hens environment they typically go out of lay for a while. We always tell people to expect waiting 2-3 weeks for eggs, hopefully sooner, and sometimes they just keep laying.
Eggs are about reproduction, which is controlled by hormones that are sensitive to stress.
A lot of stuff factors in. If the new environment has additional stressors, it's going to take longer or may not resume before spring. One of the biggest potential stressors is social problems... dealing with a new rooster, especially if he is not polite, is near the top (just after predators). In a situation with too many roosters it can be way too hard on the hens.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I had no idea there could be such a long downtime. They are not with the roosters yet. They have a 19x10 pen we bought on amazon, but the house where they sleep may be a bit tight since these Lavenders are huge and fluffy. The lavenders may be stressed out by the other two girls, who despite their petite size, are quite confident and bossy. The Azure and Barred rock were running in and out of the barn along with probably a hundred other chickens, so maybe they were already friends, but the lavenders were kept in a stall in the back with other lavenders and their rooster. I felt so sorry for him trying to protect his hens when we came to get them. They are docile birds, but scared. The breeder said they did get outside time everyday though.

Back
Top Bottom