1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Buff Orpingtons good egg layers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WhiteLeghorn2, Aug 18, 2013.

1. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I've heard Orpingtons usually lay an average of 3 eggs in a week. But then some people tell me that they lay 6 or 7 a week. Does anybody with experience know what they lay on average per week? Thanks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I have no idea,but would like to follow this post as I have 4 that have not started laying yet but should soon. I hope.

3. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I have two that are 10 weeks old now. I know practically everything about orpingtons, except for how many eggs they lay. Everyone seems to say something different and I haven't gotten a solid answer, so I figured this would be a good topic to discuss with people who might actually know what they are talking about lol! Good luck with yours! How old are they? [​IMG]

4. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I have a Buff Orpington that started laying at 21 weeks and has laid an egg a day since then. It has been four weeks now that she has been doing this. I am surprised because I had also read to only expect 3-4 eggs a week. She is from a hatchery. I don't know if that makes a difference. I am very proud of my girl!

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your hatchery birds should lay in the 5-6 egg a week range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by