Are Buff Orpingtons Prone to Certain Genetic Disorders?

TolkienChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
My four week-old Buff pullet can't stand up on her legs, but sits back on her knees. Her toes are curled and kind of scrunched. Has anyone else with Buffs experienced this? I'm wondering if she has a deficiency, injury, or genetic disorder...are Buffs prone to genetic disorders?

This is my first time with chickens, and it's a very frustrating experience. Thanks if you have any info! I really want to know what's wrong.

That stance, I believe, is generally due to injury. It's still very early days but that bird is feathering up like a male.

As for genetic predispositions, yes, every breed has them. While that's not a terribly severe case, you should restrain the bird with food and water within easy reach, probably alone but where it cans see the others close up and they can see it, and with just enough room to take limited exercise. It may fix by itself under those circumstances but you may well end up trying something more depending on how it progresses.

EDIT: you may want to check the bird's knees to see if it's tendon slippage.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Thank you! It's isolated now, with food and electrolyte/vitamin water. What will it look like if it's tendon slippage?

There is a large tendon, the Achilles, which runs over the back of their knees/hocks. When it slips, it moves over to one side of the joint, sitting on either the inside or outside, instead of along the back.

When you gently straighten the leg, it moves back into position. When you release the leg it slips back again. You can compare it to other chicks' legs to see if it looks normal.

Best wishes.

welcome-byc.gif

You might want to post on the Emergencies/Diseases section, or the Raising Chicks section--both those places have folks experienced with issues like this.

I just have to say, though...your chick isn't a buff Orpington. I'm not sure right off what it is, but Orpingtons have white legs. It also looks to be feathering in white, not buff. Maybe a Jersey Giant?

It does have white feathers, and that is a little odd for a supposed-to-be golden chicken.

These kinds of issues are not breed specific. Could be an incubation issue or a vitamin deficiency . If you get the toes taped now there is a good chance of correcting them. This is a good link to bookmark.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

That's a great site.

Before you do any toe-taping though, it would help to make sure it's not tendon issues or other injuries which don't involve the feet directly. Every leg issue involves the feet indirectly and the longer a problem goes the worse the side effects are, but you need to be pretty sure you're doing the right thing there.

Does your chick raise itself from its hocks at all?

If you're posting in another thread about this, it would be helpful to note the answer to that question.

Best wishes.

We tried stretching the legs after looking at the site. Actually, she does try to lift herself off of her hocks sometimes, which is a relief.

We tried stretching the legs after looking at the site. Actually, she does try to lift herself off of her hocks sometimes, which is a relief.

If she can succeed in lifting herself, however slightly, there is a very good chance of recovery. An outright break of tendon or bone would still not necessarily be the end of the bird, but would take longer and chances are she wouldn't be able to lift herself at all. So hopefully this is a strain, slight injury, or deficiency.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom