Are button quail harder to tame than Coturnix/Tips?

I wouldn’t call mine tame. But they they’re not exceptionally wild either. I’ve found that it helps to let them sit on my hand and raise it to my eye level. generally that’s when they stop panicking. I guess it must be scary to have a giant loom over you!

also when they are hungry? hunger trumps all fear, lol.

Attachments

• FC381F9C-DD3B-4529-B22C-653FE6C11FA3.jpeg
    FC381F9C-DD3B-4529-B22C-653FE6C11FA3.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 3
I’ve found that it helps to let them sit on my hand and raise it to my eye level. generally that’s when they stop panicking. I guess it must be scary to have a giant loom over you!
also when they are hungry? hunger trumps all fear, lol.
I've noticed the same about lifting my chick up to my face.. he will stand there nicely on my hand and listen to me talk and loves to get cheek rubs & chin scratches.

I have had the new 3 month old female button quail now for a week and she is soooooooo WILD that I'm positive she'll never get used to me putting food in her pen.

However, below is a video of the 6 week old button quail I raised immediately from hatch and have spent hours each day with -- I don't think he's at all interested in mating with the little woman I got him! -- they are so completely different!

You might feel silly doing it, but Xouie has a good point about mimicing their sounds. When my wife and I feed them, we make their 'special treat' noise (It sounds like b-b-b-b-b-b-b) and they come running to get some food. Predators don't do this. We also join in on their evening scream, but it's mostly for a laugh! 😆 Also talking calmly to them at a low volume is a near constant around here.

Have you tried eating with them? That's something else we do here at home. We sit on the floor with them and feed pieces of apple or whatever fruit we're eating. If they won't approach to take food from your hand, simply put it on the ground a short distance away. They'll start competing for it sooner or later, and you'll have them trying to steal food out of your mouth if you're not careful.

I'm sorry they get skittish for you! I have noticed that ours do go through a phase when they don't want to be held around puberty. I've just never stopped to consider it! They always go back to being lap-warmers after a week or two.

When you do hold them, make sure they are at eye level, and pointed toward your face, eye to eye. This seems to be the most comfortable way for them to be held in my experience. They also like having their heads loosely cupped, as if they are in a hand tube.

Reading over this it all sounds incredibly weird! But please try it, it works. Coturnix quail, out of all the birds I have ever owned, are the number one tamest, most cuddly around. I'm really frustrated for you, I wish you could enjoy it!
I love sharing food with animals like this, it can be a real bonding experience

I think it's likely easier to tame a lone button quail than if there's a group.... I have 1 very sweet 5 week old button who cries for me - since I work from home, it's with me much of the day. I have ordered little quail diapers for it so it won't poop on my computer keyboard... not sure how that will go though.... LOL

My boys live in my bedroom and they both cry if I get up to go to the bathroom and my partner is not around.

My boys live in my bedroom and they both cry if I get up to go to the bathroom and my partner is not around.
hahahaaa... yes, I have one super tame button who is in my bedroom too (so is his wild & crazy girlfriend but she's not tame) -- He is taking nicely to his new little woman but he still cries for me about 5 times a day and I take him out to hang out with me around the house but then the girlfriend starts calling for him.... lol...... He calls for me and she calls for him.

Back
Top Bottom