Are Call Duck hens quieter with a drake???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sasa, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Sasa

Sasa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I have 7 Call Duck hens and no drake. Last year they were in with a Lavender Runner drake and his hens and they were fairly quiet. I ended up with 7 Call/Runner babies though so I moved the Runners out to another yard. I'm glad it worked out, the babies are great but it's too dangerous to have a Runner drake mating with a tiny Call hen, he could harm or drown her in the process.

This year these hens are SO loud, especially Holly the alpha hen. If I get a drake will they be quieter like they were before?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They could but my ducks were always louder when I had a Drake around

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Nope! Sorry. : ) I have 4 call ducks, three females and a male. Every female is still as loud as every. I can hear the call ducks inside the house. I wouldn't trade them for anything though. : )

~ Aspen

4. Sasa

Sasa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks you guys! that helps, maybe mine were quieter last year because there were Runners in the yard with them (it's a 200'x250' yard) and they didn't want to get their attention. My girls are happy and I don't want babies and since it's easy for them to hide nests here I will remain drake-less. I love my little girls, they are a hoot.

Hey, what are the brown ones that are colored alot like finches called? I have one and I can't find a name for her type anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by