Are cats real predators are just PESTS

Has cat killed a chicken?

• Cat preyed upon and killed a chicken.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cat has frightened chickens into injuring themselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat is just an unwelcome pest.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
I had a stray cat which I ignored because it did its best to avoid me. I never put food out for it so I rarely saw it. Then it somehow opened my can of horse feed and sprayed urine. I realized then I had a tom cat roaming about. I made sure my can was securely locked and continued to ignore the fellow.

Then he made the fatal mistake of crawling across the top of my pen, and I saw him trying his best to tear out the wire. With great reluctance, as I usually leave wild things alone, I declared war on the young tom. Respectfully and swiftly I dispatched the young cat and buried him as deeply as I could.

I don't re-home a problem animal. I take responsibility and humanely take care of the issue.

It depends on how hungry the cat is. A well fed domestic cat is a pest. My cockerels can chase one off. A hungry feral cat would be another story.

Quote:
My well fed domestic cat sleeps in the brooder with the chicks - I have no hungry ferals now, but the one I did have, never bothered chicks, chickens, roos, nada. Just hung around to be fed.

Yeah we thought that as well, cute little kitties.... Then it happened, they killed my grandma's chicks. Well fed house cats played with them one at a time until dead.

That was about 40 years ago and have seen it happen many times since both fat happy house cats and feral hunters.

Cats are predatory by nature and no amount of kibbles and bits can change that.

No your cat may never hurt one of your chicks or pullets, but generalizing and telling others it is OK to have cats around their chickens is not wise me thinks....
hmm.png

Quote:
If you're referring to my post - I'm sorry, I don't see where I mentioned that 'it is OK to have cats around their chickens'
Honestly, I would think that would be up to the OP what they wanted to do

FOR EXAMPLE I have 5 cats, indoor/outdoor - and they have never killed any of my chicks, hens, roosters, etc.

Quote:
If you're referring to my post - I'm sorry, I don't see where I mentioned that 'it is OK to have cats around their chickens'
Honestly, I would think that would be up to the OP what they wanted to do

FOR EXAMPLE I have 5 cats, indoor/outdoor - and they have never killed any of my chicks, hens, roosters, etc.

No I was not referring to your post, but to many others.... Sorry if it seemed that way. But it can still happen to you as well....

We have 3 barn cats and the 2 neutered males were stalking them at first.
When I made it clear they were off limits they leave them alone.
In fact the 2 NH Reds gang up and together they chase the cats away.
it's a riot to watch!

tongue.png

We have a neutered male and he tries to chase the hens and gets a good pecking and runs away. One day, there were three girls chasing him. HOWEVER, we do leave him locked up when the chickens free range and we are not out there. He is quite interested in our 2 month old chicks. Not wanting to risk that.

It is different from cats you own that are used to chickens from cats that came from someone elses' place and is being a pest. That's like someone asking "are dogs a pest", 2 of my dogs are afraid of my chickens but my 4 other dogs would take out my whole flock and other peoples' dogs are a danger to my chickens. So I can't say "no they're not a pest".
There's no feral cats here, just cats that have been let out by their owner's. Cats that don't stay on the property... I think more people out here should consider electric fencing so their cats don't wander off and be a bother to other people.
Everytime I see a cat even across the street I get my dog Bruno out, he's a fast dog.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom