Are Cedar Chips Safe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmerBoy24, Apr 17, 2012.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Can I use cedar chips with my chicks?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    No ive heard its toxic. But pine is safe for them.

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Yes you can use cedar chips but why would you want to. Pine shavings are much cheaper. You will hear many say that cedar is toxic, but there is never a source for this reasoning. I have used cedar chips in the coop thinking it would be better for odor control. Even had babies in cedar chips with no ill effects. I stopped using them because my coop doesn't smell unless we get a large amount of rain. I use pine shavings as my base and add straw and shredded paper (from my paper shredder) if needed. I clean my coop once a year, usually in the fall and use the compost around my fruit trees and in my flower beds.

4. Rvl Rookie

Rvl Rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Russellville, MO
    I heard the same thing about cedar chips being toxic, when I was using them as bedding for my snakes. I'd used it for years, with no problems, but still quit just in case.

5. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    No.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Ive read cedar can cause respiratory problems.

7. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    For those that say cedar is toxic to birds, if you use pine shavings or pine straw, you are exposing your birds to the same dangers they say exist in cedar. There is anecdotal evidence that the phenols emitted from cedar & pine shavings can cause liver enzyme changes, but I heard the same kind of stories about feeding pets raw food...and it came from the folks who made dog food. Of course dogs have survived for centuries on little more than raw food...I wonder if birds ever nest in cedar trees.

8. Lois Little

Lois Little Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    I have 24 hens, about 18 wks. old. We got them when they were 2 days old and have not lost one. I used cedar chips from the beginning, mostly for odor control and ease of scooping when cleaning. Someone told me today cedar would kill my hens. I do want to know if this is true or not, and who is an authority to ask?

9. mulelover1999

mulelover1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2012
    I use cedar chips and my chickens are 3 months happy and healthy. I had no problems with the cedar it smells nice and cost less
    :)

10. Silkie world197

Silkie world197 New Egg

Oct 24, 2012
    My silkies are 5 mths old and I have used cedar since hatch date and they have been fine, My vet says its just fine,plus I love the nice smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by