Are Chickens a Danger to Horses? Bad Couple Months With Neighbors

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
3x

No matter how trivial it sounds but it's the chicken owners to keep their birds contained. We are responsible for our chicken's welfare and they are responsible for their horses/rider's welfare too.

Keep your birds on your property and you won't have to deal with tension with your neighbor.

Remember the old farmer's adage: "Good fences make good neighbors"​

Um what do you think I am trying to do? Do think that I would just let them keep going over there?

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone who has posted but I think most of us think you are a responsible chicken owner. We were just giving our opinions. Myself and others were just trying to point out that horses do spook at some of the weirdest things. Personally, I didn't think you were letting them go over there without a thought.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone who has posted but I think most of us think you are a responsible chicken owner. We were just giving our opinions. Myself and others were just trying to point out that horses do spook at some of the weirdest things. Personally, I didn't think you were letting them go over there without a thought.
hugs.gif

Thank you. At first I didn't think about them going over would be a problem since they have their own. But when we got the letter that is when we started to take action.

Action is the key! At least you are doing something about it and hopefully no more chickens wandering over there.

Sometimes I never know the pastures are greener over there even you have the juiciest bugs around, nope, they gotta go over there!
lol.png

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan. I just looked at their website and they do have expensive horses and if they are writing letters now, I would imagine that they probably wouldn't skip a beat on suing you for vet bills if a horse got hurt. Sometimes you gotta CYA.
wink.png
I am sure you will come up with a way to keep your chooks from going over there.
thumbsup.gif

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but some of those horses could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Im sure your family doesnt want to involved in a lawsuit over an injury caused by your birds.

Quote:
As usual we always let our chickens out on the weekend once a week.

If they are penned up for most of the time, then they are used to it. Until a fence is secured just don't let them out.

They are probably training green riders over there as well... a high strung (expensive) horse and a green rider is kind of a dangerous combo in the best of situations and will frequently take spill and get hurt for no reason what so ever. If they can find a reason, and that reason is a wayward chicken, and you have already been warned..then boy do I smell law suit. Its not worth the risk. If you are bound and determined to free range once in a while then I would invest in a chicken tractor or some well placed bird netting. It would be cheaper and less trouble than a law suit because some kid fell off, sustained some life altering injury and your chicken was named or framed. Good luck.

My chickens and horses live in harmony. The chickens wander thru the paddock, the horses leave them alone. They scratch thru the manure piles and I have much less bugs and flies. The chickens must eat the horse fly larve because I don't have any horse flies anymore.
BTW My horses are worth thousands of dollars BUT their my chickens

Horses are not unicorns. If a horse has a disposition that makes it a hazard, then it should be culled.
roll.png

Your chickens need to stay on your property. Throw up a poultry net as a temporary run and let them range in safety. Or make a chicken-proof fence around the property. But above all, do not let your animals wander off.

Back
Top Bottom