Are chickens colorblind?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Oct 6, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It came up yesterday and I didn't know. Can they see color?

[​IMG]

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I know they see red![​IMG] Go in with sandles and red toe polish and see what happens!

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, they can see color. Many chicken experiments involve the chicken choosing a target of a certain color over targets of different colors in the same shade (so one can't argue that they see it in shades of gray).

4. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a red hoodie I wear sometimes in the morning and my Roo loves it. He dances and a bit more wildly. So I would say yes and he he likes me to wear red. [​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yep, they see colors and birds see ultraviolet colors too!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  6. lizard7

lizard7 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Kansas
    They must see color, my chickens go wild over red grapes, could care less for green grapes.

7. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I read somewhere that birds have 4 rods (or is it cones, whichever it is that preceives color). Humans only have 3. Maybe can see more different colors than we do?

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I agree with everyone else. They must see color. When I walk up to the run with my little red bucket of water or treats, they go nutty.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well isn't all this interesting! Chickens potentially see color BETTER than we do. If they can see unltraviolet I wonder if they can see infrared as well?

The cones in our eyes respond to the three lighting primary colors- Red Green Blue. I wonder what the fourth cone in chicken eyes responds to. That'd be interesting to know.

Sterling Acres- Have you tried switching the bucket to one of a different color? I wonder if it's the bucket they associate with treats or the color?

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Our treat tray is red and boy oh boy do they see that!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by