Are chickens easy to butcher yourself?

Farmer Mike S

Songster
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
Glen Mills, PA
I don't have chickens yet but when they get old and stop laying often I will probably eat them. Are they easy to butcher yourself? And if anyone has any steps or methods they would be appriciated as well.

I looked on YouTube and found some good videos of step to step process. i've never done it myself, but i know plenty of people who have and i've 'helped' them. Its not that hard really

I'm in my early 20's and I figured out how to do it on my own by watching YouTube and reading articles on here. It's pretty easy in my opinion...

To me, the hardest part is plucking. We went ahead and got a WhizBang kit because we do a batch of meaties every year. However, for older birds like you are talking about, I would just skin them. I'd also stew or can them because with old birds the meat is pretty tough. I like to can it because it's ready to toss in a casserole like chicken enchiladas, or chicken soup that way without having to defrost. Lots of info on doing your own processing online, its not hard.
smile.png

To me, the hardest part is plucking. We went ahead and got a WhizBang kit because we do a batch of meaties every year. However, for older birds like you are talking about, I would just skin them. I'd also stew or can them because with old birds the meat is pretty tough. I like to can it because it's ready to toss in a casserole like chicken enchiladas, or chicken soup that way without having to defrost. Lots of info on doing your own processing online, its not hard.
smile.png

X2

I think there's also the factor of how you view your chickens. Are they strictly for egg laying and meat? Are they cuddly pets? If you are someone who gets very attached to your animals, it may be more difficult for you to have to butcher your own birds. But so far as the actual process goes, it's not that hard.

I butchered my first rooster yesterday, and I found it very tricky and messy. Hardest part was removing the vent - YouTube videos made it look easy but my poor roo looked like it had been in a car crash by the time I'd finished. Hopefully I'll make a better job next time.

I butchered my first rooster yesterday, and I found it very tricky and messy. Hardest part was removing the vent - YouTube videos made it look easy but my poor roo looked like it had been in a car crash by the time I'd finished. Hopefully I'll make a better job next time.

don't feel bad. It happens. Suggest you watch good videos on youtube and memorize the process. It will be easier next time. Also use a razor sharp knife with 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" blade. You don't need any bigger knife. and you certainly don't want to use "Bowie" style knife.

Use a high quality parring knife. Examples are Wustoff, Henkle paring knife. Sharpen it and hone it on a 8000grit waterstone.

Back
Top Bottom