Are Cochin Roosters Know for Mean Behaviors?

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
Are Cochins known For very mean rooster behaviors... Just wondering since Im getting rid of my Barred rock for mean behaviors, and Im not keeping any of my Red sex link chicks that turn out to be roos... and im getting silver laced cochins 12+ in the mail so just wondering if I should keep a roo, Is there average behavior is nice.

My cochin roos are docile enough. They seem concerned if I try to pick up their lady-friends, but otherwise they are relaxed. Never attacked anyone.
The meanest rooster I ever had was a silkie, weird huh! Must've had some defect in his brain!

Last edited:
hey will defend themselves, but i've never seen them attack...

i had one with my OEGB's and he wouldn't even give a stare down... but once skippy would attack, he would defend himself and launch him... but after that, he was super friendly and mellow...

Two Cochin males have just as much chance fighting each other as any other common breed. . . As long as you raise them together, they will do fine.
smile.png

I have no experience in them except in collecting other people's free Cochin roos for food, but I hear a lot of good of Cochin behavior.

Quote:
I have 3 bantam cochin roosters right now, two are hatch-mates and nearly identical in appearance. I call 'em Frick and Frack. The older cochin roo is Nugget. They all get along. There are some crowing contests between the twins, and Nugget won't let Frick or Frack mount any hens when HE is around. (And Nugget doesn't get any either, if the dominant LF rooster, Carl, is in sight.)

No fighting. I think the bantam versions of cochin roosters are a bit more feisty than are the LF. But, as I've said, none of my roosters fight.

I currently have a young cochin bantam Norman (7 months plus) who is so docile he plays with my 3 year old. He doesn't fight with any of the other roosters either.

My previous cochin bantam Rooster Eltorro was a different story. He attacked my mother so much she gave him to me. When I had him, he never attacked me, not once, but he did pick fights with the other chickens.

I think half of it is genes and the other half is the upbring.

Aloha,

When i got my Bantam Cochin "Red Cochin" he was a mean little bugger. At first I thought it was my imagination. But when I heard he was attacking my family, mercilessly, I sent him to the freezer. But his offspring are wonderful crosses so they are much more nicer than him.

Here is the little Boxer:

51551_imgp0422.jpg

So it just depends if they are habituated to humans. My Cochin was not, unfortunately. But they are supposed to be so...

Back
Top Bottom