Are Coturnix quail easy to acquire?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Since Coturnix have a short lifespan of an average of 2 years, are they easy to acquire? Is craigslist the best place to find them for sale?

They are pretty easy to find. If you want birds or chicks rather than hatching eggs, then I would go through craigslist. Make sure to see what their setup is like too. Don't buy from someone whose setup is dirty or their birds don't look well.

If you want hatching eggs, there are quite a few reputable hatcheries that sell eggs, but be aware that shipped eggs have about a 50% hatch rate.

Southwest Gamebirds is the hatchery where I get my Coturnix hatching eggs. I’ve had a lot of luck with their Hatchery’s Choice variety! They’re located in Arizona but they ship all over the place.

Southwest Gamebirds is the hatchery where I get my Coturnix hatching eggs. I’ve had a lot of luck with their Hatchery’s Choice variety! They’re located in Arizona but they ship all over the place.
SW has stopped shipping hatching eggs. They do have live birds available, though. If you want their lines, Thieving Otter has them now.

SW has stopped shipping hatching eggs. They do have live birds available, though. If you want their lines, Thieving Otter has them now.
Thanks for letting me know! We’ve gotten our eggs from them the past several years and I was always so happy with the results so this is kind of disappointing news. I’ll be sure to check out Thieving Otter though!

Back
Top Bottom