Are coturnix quail loud??

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
Dh and I are thinking about raising coturnix quail for meat and eggs. We live in a neighborhood and already have 4 chickens, but they are pretty quiet. We were thinking about starting out with 4-6 quail, hopefully with just one male. Will our neighbors know that we have them? Are the roosters really loud?

My DH does not appreciate loud birds. My 2 roos have pretty quiet crows, but I'll still be moving them as far from the house as I can when Spring comes and it's time for open windows!
gig.gif
That being said, our Cots are a few feet from the front door. When DH first heard the roo crow ( I had to point it out ), he just cracked up! 2 roos now and I have to listen for them.
big_smile.png
Now, the woman I got my quail from has her quail room roos crowing for her phone ringer....that's a racket!
lau.gif
As long as you don't have huge numbers...noise is no issue at all! IMO - it's really kinda cute!

The hens tend to sound like crickets and the males sound like a wet fart according to some visitors some other day
smile.png
I love their sounds. Very different compared to other specie

Quote:
We're getting them then!
smile.png

I have another question, is it possible for a chicken (silkie) to hatch out the babies and care for them?

Back
Top Bottom