Are coturnix quail loud??

Quote:
We're getting them then!
smile.png

I have another question, is it possible for a chicken (silkie) to hatch out the babies and care for them?

Depends on the silkie, ive seen one that looked like a standard before and ive seen the little fluff balls before.

Quote:
We're getting them then!
smile.png

I have another question, is it possible for a chicken (silkie) to hatch out the babies and care for them?

I don't think having a silkie hatch quail would be a very good idea.
There is a considerable size difference in the eggs.
Many feel Chickens and Quail should not be raised together. There are Diseases that chickens can pass on to quail that will kill the quail.
If you do a search for raising Chickens and Quail together, many posts will come up advising not to.

There are some that do, and have no problems.. but it's each individuals call.

I think an incubator would be the best way to go. ;-)

Maybe if she's broody, you could order her some eggs.

I have 5 in the incubator right now on day 10 and looking good, and 3 silkies, 2 weeks old.. Such cute chickens!

Well, there is a possibility that the quail eggs are going to be crushed by the weight of the chicken...:confused:

I've hatched Japanese quail eggs under bantam chickens before. A Silkie isn't the best choice because quail chicks can get tangled in their feathers. Quail chicks like to burrow upwards right under wings and poop + fine, furry feathers equals a trapped/strangled quail chick. Under a quail mother their little feet would still be on the ground so it's not an issue, but they like to get as warm as possible under a hen so a hard feathered breed is the best option.

Back
Top Bottom