Are CPGs good mothers?

ringaring

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Norfolk, NY
Our CPG has failed to hatch for 2 yrs now. Last year she abandoned the nest after 3 wks. This year all eggs were dead at 4+ wks. Now she is sitting on an empty nest, hopefully not contemplating another clutch. I do not have an incubation area nor is it feasible to set one up. So, what ever the birds hatch on their own, they can keep. The chickens figured it out and brought home 14 chicks. Can I expect the goose to improve her mothering skills or is she still too young? She is 2 1/2 yrs old and too skinny right now to allow her to set another nest. TIA

Maybe you could hatch them for her and hopefully she will take them? I think having multiple geese encourages them.

Does she have a mate? Mine were only half hearted about setting when there was no gander.

There are 2 ganders and I'm hoping to get another goose this year to take some of the pressure off her, preferably Walker line.
Maybe you could hatch them for her and hopefully she will take them? I think having multiple geese encourages them.

Does she have a mate? Mine were only half hearted about setting when there was no gande

Back
Top Bottom