Are Cream Legbars crele?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I was trying to figure out what "color" the Cream Legbars are, are they considered a crele? I appreciate it.

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
As I recall, Cream Legbars are essentially a Golden Cuckoo... except based on a different color. I believe the Gold Legbars are a golden cuckoo, and as I recall Golden Cuckoo is generally wheaten based. I don't recall which base color the "cream" part of this equation denotes.

Crele is cuckoo/barring on Black Breasted Red.

GaryDean26

Chicken Czar
10 Years
Dec 22, 2011
McAlester, OK
My Coop
My Coop
As mentioned on the Legbar thread. The definition that I saw for Crele was barring over a wild type bird (brown- salmon breasted female, and black breasted males which chestnut hackle, saddles, and shoulders) which is exactly what a Legbar is.

That means that Silver, Gold, and Cream Legbars are ALL crele colored since they are all wild type (e+/e+) with different modifiers for the silver, gold, cream hackle colors.

In the Marans breed Golden Cuckoo is defined as barring over a black copper Marans base color. In the Marans breed they don't use Wheatons for the Golden Cuckoo variety, but I have seen barred Wheaton marans and barred Black-Tailed buff Marans which do look a lot more attractive than the barred black copper marans in my opinion.

Notes:

Campos confirmed in his studies that the Marraduna Basque Hens are a barred Wheaton variety. You can compare them to Golden Cuckoo Marans and Legbars.

Also, I think that the Double Barred Lemon Oprpingtons are barred wheaton base birds with the the same color modifier as the the Cream Legbar (Ig). I know "Ig" is required for the lemon color is some breed, but don't know specifics on the Orpingtons. "Ig" turns gold feathers to a cream color, and Ig + an additional modifier (name?) is required for Lemon color.

Chris09

Circle (M) Ranch
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Ohio
Crele is Barred + Black Breasted Red

You could call the Legbar color a Crele pattern but it isn't a good example of the pattern.

Chris

Top Bottom