Are crows a threat?

boyswillbeboys

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I have a flock of full grown hens and a rooster, right now I have 12 - 4 week old EE Chicks, they were in a cage in the coop, but they purposely can get out into the rest of the coop, and therefore the run. The other chickens have accepted them, there has been no pecking or bullying. Today I noticed two crows fly slowly over the run, I know they aren't a threat to my full grown hens, but will they attack the babies with a rooster in the run. I know he will protect the girls , but I haven't seen him need to protect the chicks so I don't know if he will.

I look at crows as the risk is worth the reward. They may take baby chicks if the hen doesn't defend them. Hawks will take chicks and adults. Crows keep hawks away so I let the crows stay and even feed them to make sure they stay around. They love eggs.

Thank you all, for the most part the chicks still stay close to the coop, but they don't have a mama hen, I just have an unusually accepting flock.

Yes, crows are your early warning system. Crows squawking is general heads up. Maybe I should feed mine too.

Yes, crows are your early warning system. Crows squawking is general heads up. Maybe I should feed mine too.
I don't have to feed them, my neighbours have a grain handling system right on the other side of the property line, the crows are attracted by that.

Back
Top Bottom