Are Dewlap Toulouse geese hard to incubate?

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I am wondering if I need to know something special to incubate Dewlaps. My sil wants me to hatch some eggs for her. They will be shipped eggs. I have not done ducks or geese before. I need to read up on incubating them and trick or what ever to make it happen. Hope someone will answer me. We can not get babies here or even big ones.
Micki

Read the hatching sticky at the top of the goose area is your best place to start.

Shipped eggs can have many issues from detached air cells to completely scrambled inside.

Dewlaps are known for being a hard goose to hatch compared to others.

I don't think dewlaps are particularly more difficult to hatch than other geese. I think that all geese are tricky to hatch in an incubator.

The difficult thing about hatching giant dewlaps is to get fertilized eggs. Sometimes they need breeding assistance because of their huge keel.

Since quality dewlaps are rare and a bit tricky to breed, I'd be very careful whom I bought hatching eggs from. Not all Toulouse geese are equal.

Read the hatching sticky at the top of the goose area is your best place to start.
Shipped eggs can have many issues from detached air cells to completely scrambled inside.
Dewlaps are known for being a hard goose to hatch compared to others.

I am reading that article. Great help in it. I just have never done ducks or geese and it is scary to pay a lot for eggs and not know what to do. I know I should do some cheaper eggs first. I just have a SIL who wants me to hatch her out some Toulouse and I like the look of the Dewlap. Can you tell me is that dewlap like the dewlap on a rabbit or I hear people calling it a keel which makes me think it is hard.

I don't think dewlaps are particularly more difficult to hatch than other geese. I think that all geese are tricky to hatch in an incubator.

The difficult thing about hatching giant dewlaps is to get fertilized eggs. Sometimes they need breeding assistance because of their huge keel.

Since quality dewlaps are rare and a bit tricky to breed, I'd be very careful whom I bought hatching eggs from. Not all Toulouse geese are equal.
I am pretty sure I know where to get the good eggs but I am not sure of hatching them because of the cost of them. I see in your icon you have saddle back geese. They are pretty. I wonder if I can talk my SIL into them or something else. Of course I don't know the cost of them either right now but it is just to add geese to her farm of everything else. She is not wanting to go over $50.00 total for about 6 eggs. I am sure they will not all hatch so she wants to be sure to get at least two.

uh-oh. $50 for 6 eggs. it would take some serious good shopping to get Giant Dewlap eggs for that little. The Pomeranian geese that I have, in exhibition quality, seem to run about $10 an egg and the Pomeranian is a lot less expensive than a good Dewlap.

Shipping will be a large chunk, too, because goose eggs are large and you want them shipped with lots of padding. they won't fit in those one price postal boxes.

You can have exhibition potential Dewlap Toulouse shipped to you from Holderread. $80 for an unsexed gosling and $210 for a sexed pair. But at least that way, you are assured of getting goslings. With hatching eggs, you might get 100% to hatch, you might get none.

uh-oh. $50 for 6 eggs. it would take some serious good shopping to get Giant Dewlap eggs for that little. The Pomeranian geese that I have, in exhibition quality, seem to run about $10 an egg and the Pomeranian is a lot less expensive than a good Dewlap.

Shipping will be a large chunk, too, because goose eggs are large and you want them shipped with lots of padding. they won't fit in those one price postal boxes.

You can have exhibition potential Dewlap Toulouse shipped to you from Holderread. $80 for an unsexed gosling and $210 for a sexed pair. But at least that way, you are assured of getting goslings. With hatching eggs, you might get 100% to hatch, you might get none.
I know. We started out looking for just Toulouse and ran into the Dewlap and loved the look of them. We had no idea about prices. LOL Now I am going to ask her if we shouldn't just look around more here to see if we could find a different goose that she would be interested in. She is not going to show them. This is just for here little farm to enjoy them herself. And I have read more about shipped goose eggs and it doesn't sound like they ship as well as chicken eggs. And I have had some time incubating them. I would rather not incubate geese eggs I think.

I appreciate you help with this matter. It has indeed helped me decide what to do.
smile.png

I will be driving 10 hours each way this month to pick up Pomeranain goslings. That breeder doesn't ship, but I know 2 breeders who do ship Pomeranian goslings. They are both more in the East. Let me know if you want contact information.

Dunlop Hatchery in Idaho might sell goslings if pet quality is all you want. Hatcheries do not sell Giant Dewlap Toulouse. Their "Toulouse" geese are barnyard gray geese. There are certain to be good breeders of geese in Idaho, if you take a look around and make a small effort to locate them.

If you go to the duck forum, at the top, as a sticky, is a waterfowl breeder's directory.

Only the first few days are indexed, so you will have to go through all the notes to find breeders. There are goose breeders listed there as well as duck breeders.

I know a dewlap gosling seller than can ship to you. They are not much cheaper than Holderread, but there is no waiting list and she is hatching them out daily right now.

Back
Top Bottom