Are docile, layed back roosters easier to keep in one separate pen?

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
Very curious.All my roosters I have are nice and I am considering separating them then changing them around every other few months.

Are roosters who are docile and spend time around their owners more pron to not getting into fights or killing eachother?

You can absolutely keep a coop of just roosters together. As long as they can't see the hens, there should be no more bullying than there is in a flock of just hens. If they can see the hens they may fight, but if there are no ladies around the fellows are usually pretty peaceful together. Of course, every flock is different so I would keep a close eye on them the first few days if you do it. Good luck!

How they interact with you doesn't really have bearing on how they'll interact with each other. When you take one out and put another in, each bird will have to figure out where they stand in relation to this new bird. This happens in any group of animals (and people, too, although we try to "socialize" ourselves out of that) and can range from a little posturing to fight to the death.

If you want to run a bachelor pad, I think it would be better to keep it stable. Pick one lucky guy to live with the hens if that's what you want, and keep the rest in their stable group.

I think I am going to choose 1 out of our four to stay with Alpha and the hens.I think extra help will help,He never does anything but watch the area.....Which is good but im sure he doesnt dust but have saw him take a few breaks fron his job.

How they interact with you doesn't really have bearing on how they'll interact with each other. When you take one out and put another in, each bird will have to figure out where they stand in relation to this new bird. This happens in any group of animals (and people, too, although we try to "socialize" ourselves out of that) and can range from a little posturing to fight to the death. 

If you want to run a bachelor pad, I think it would be better to keep it stable. Pick one lucky guy to live with the hens if that's what you want, and keep the rest in their stable group. 

You can rotate roosters as planned although they will tend to get more dinged up as each time birds shuffled fights will be intensified until pecking order stabilized. The more you have in the bachleor pad the less likely you will have a death match. If the rotation route pursued, then consider moving things about in pen at same time of introduction and be prepared to monitor strife for a few hours.

I have kept bachelor pads twice where the cockerels could see and hear the pullets. The pullets and hens free ranged, going right up to the run where the cockerels were kept. There was no fighting either time. That does not mean that there won't be trouble some other time when I try it, but that has been my experience so far.

I think I am going to choose 1 out of our four to stay with Alpha and the hens.I think extra help will help,He never does anything but watch the area.....Which is good but im sure he doesnt dust but have saw him take a few breaks fron his job.
So, you already have an Alpha rooster. How many hens does he have? How old would the rooster that you choose to put with them be? Less than a year old (cockerel)? If he's young, there may not be problems...yet. There may not be problems at all, but once he matures, there is a chance he may decide to challenge your current rooster.

I have kept bachelor pads twice where the cockerels could see and hear the pullets. The pullets and hens free ranged, going right up to the run where the cockerels were kept. There was no fighting either time. That does not mean that there won't be trouble some other time when I try it, but that has been my experience so far.

So, you already have an Alpha rooster. How many hens does he have? How old would the rooster that you choose to put with them be? Less than a year old (cockerel)? If he's young, there may not be problems...yet. There may not be problems at all, but once he matures, there is a chance he may decide to challenge your current rooster.
He has 22 hens (Some not laying yet,but here very,very soon.)I will want the roo to be younger then at least 8 months but still I wanna see who does better at their job,so I'm in a tricky situation.I heard that Rir roo's tend not to handle being with other roo's alot so he is off the list...Might send him packing but still am unsure...I will wiat.

Back
Top Bottom