Are Dogs and Chickens OK together?

We have three dogs. One of which wants absolutely nothing to do with our chickens or rabbits, TYVM. She's a little diva.

The other two - they are always excited about new chicks in the brooder and get upset when they can't come up and watch "Chick TV".

When the chickens first arrived, we had to go through some pretty aggressive training to get the dogs to not chase the chickens. It's part of their nature to do so, so don't expect it to be something that can be trained out of them overnight.

Now, two months later, they wander with the chickens when the birds are let out to free range. They keep an eye on things and tend to go haring off after anything that spooks the hens. You can see a video of them wandering with the girls here, if you want. They have to check out what the hens are getting into and generally just be around them when they are out. When they are in their runs, now days, the dogs will come by and check on them every hour or so; but, otherwise that's their time to go "patrol".

Dogs can be trained - it just takes patience and consistency. And, don't lose your temper with them, no matter how much you want to do so. They are having to learn to go counter to their nature - like me trying to walk by the sweets aisle and not purchase anything......I'm slower to train than my dogs
hit.gif

Last edited:
So we have 3 dogs.
Peaches (min schnauzer mix about 15 lbs) she started off seeming like she would be a good "motherly" or "rooster" type , she is 4 years old when first introduced to our new hens. We had aquired some chicks as well, which are now about 11 weeks. She seemed to be doing great with them, and the larger hens. However, on Saturday, she decided to corner and assult my Rhode Island Red that just layed an egg for the first time after the hens not laying for about 2 weeks now. She is fine, maybe a little stressed and my not want to lay today, but I have them kept in the coop and run for the day.
Ariel (70 lb female GSD and possible Rott mix maybe golden ret 2 years old) She is really into the chickens. She stalks them, stares them down, heards them, and has been know to pull tail feathers. I have introduced her to the baby chicks when we first got them, we had them in the kiddie pool inside the house at first and she comes in at night. At first I could hear all 3 dogs with the chicks, but after some training with them, no problems, no chicks lost in the middle of the night! I thought this is good. Well now that the chicks are outside with the Hens, they are roaming the yard and she still wants to heard them but not really chase them or snip at them. About a week ago or so, just before halloween, she was caught hearding the chicks, and we were missing one, thought it went out through the picket fence in the front and a neighbor cat got it. Then on Halloween night, left noting the chicks were happy and together in the oleander bushes, got home 2 hours later, missing another chick, all the chicks were huddled together by the back door of the house. No signs of either chicks anywhere, no feathers, no beaks no nothing! So we think that is what happened.
Nero (75lb male GSD and Rott mix poss golden ret 2 years old, brother of Ariel above ) Will heard but pretty much mellow around them, will be alert when they are around him, doesn't chase them or stare them down like his sister. mostly cool calm and collective. Spiked interest when they hens and/or chicks are playing or making extra noises. not too worried of him.

Any suggestions or advice? I have tried holding chicks to the dogs when in submissive states. Perhaps more work is needed! I am a firm believer in everyday is a training day. So I am constantly on them with thier bad behaviours but when I am not home 4 days a week, it is left up to others to be on the same page.

hi i dont have chickens yet but i do have a bunny and dog we took my dog to my aunts she was not bothered at all by them(chickens) it really depends on your dogs personality if its a bit to playful and chases birds and that type of stuff no point in getting chickens! also make sure your dog is not very protective when eating its food if it is NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL!! any way i hoped that helped

Last edited:
Can I just say your dog and chicken pictures are beautiful and I have full confidence that I can train my fluffy white puffball of a dog to interact appropriately with my chicks when they arrive next week. Thanks for the hints and tips... After all, a little white puffball couldn't harm a fly, right :) I am thinking positively... Pebbles will be on her leash at all times for a while. I will also let her spend lots of time outside when the chickens are in their run... that way she can approach and snuggle next to the run for a little nap... I really think she will actually like them. She will be less lonely outside and will protect them too... That being said, see me in a few months to see how well they are doing.

ha its funny my chicken has just reared up at my poor pooch and pecked her on the nose, poor thing was only having a sniff how do I put pictures up

Here's a video that shows my dog and the chickens (and some other things about raising chickens as well). My dog is a natural hunter and he has killed squirrels and other things before. However, as soon as I got my chicks, I included him in every visit to the chicken coop. I held the chicks and let him smell each one up close. After a while he totally accepted them and their quick movements. In fact, he sort of became bored with them. Now that they're a few months old, the dog and chickens are good friends. Their interactions are fun to watch. I really think that a lot of the success had to do with putting the dog and chickens together every day, from day one. My dog, Rufus, still follows me out to the chicken coop on every visit. Here's the link to the video. Enjoy!

My dog is really good with them she likes to have a sniff which one of them gets annoyed with hence why she got a peck but other than that she just watches, their not really interested in her they seem to be more interested in the rabbit.

It absolutely does depend on the dog you have and what the dog's personality, training, and instincts are, remembering too that for every generality there is an exception. I also think it's essential to be honest with yourself about your dog and not be blind to his/her weaknesses. I love our dog. She's a sweet English Setter named Molly. She's amazing with the grandkids. We got her the year before our Katie was born. We were worried about her accidentally hurting the baby with her high energy and exuberance so before Katie was born we put a blanket on the floor with a doll on it and moved the doll regularly. She was reprimanded every time she went near that doll or blanket. Katie is now almost 9, and if I drop a bath towel on the living room floor Molly still automatically walks all the way around it without touching it. We have added another granddaughter who is now 2 1/2. She was born with Spina Bifida and uses a wheelchair, but most of the time when she's here she's crawling on the floor. Molly is just as trustworthy and reliable with her.

That said, I would not - NOT - trust Molly with the chickens, not for one minute. She isn't a guard dog, by nature or by training, so I can't expect her to simply watch over them. She isn't a herding dog, that would help round up the chickens and get them back into the coop. She's a bird dog and she will always be a bird dog. Even at 10 years old she has more energy than sense and she can flat MOVE! She was trained for hunting and retrieving. To expect her to go against her training and instincts and not show any over-eager interest in the chickens is a disservice to her and a risk to the birds. On occasion she has been less than as "soft mouthed" as she should be when retrieving a pheasant that isn't quite dead, so I imagine she could probably cause serious injury if she ever got a live, flapping chicken in her jaws. The first night the chickens were in the run she tried to dig under. We have a hardware cloth apron around it. One broken and bloody toenail later she decided that they probably weren't worth it, but as soon as we let her out in the morning the first place she heads for is the chicken coop. I could probably work with her and train her to leave them alone but with our setup and situation it just makes more sense to leave things as they are. By 10 years old she's earned the right to live out the rest of her life without additional pressure.

I so envy you folks with all these neat photos and stories of your dogs and your chickens and I sometimes wish it was like that around here. But I love Molly for all the things she can do, not the one or two things she can't. Unfortunately I know that allowing my dog in among the chickens is a bad idea for both.

Mine is a golden Labrador and is very good I just have to watch that she does not get to over excited
How can I post a pic of her

Back
Top Bottom