Are Dogs and Chickens OK together?

Hi. I have 2 Jack Russell terriers 1girl, 1 boy. My girl dog Boo had a something stuck to her bum which Daphne tried to peck. Boo turned and growled and from nowhere Velma flew over and landed on her back lol! No one was hurt and Boo just ignores them. Scout, my boy has always been protective of them and gets a little stressed when my 3 girls separate to mooch in the garden. So much so he feels the need to round them up back in the run!!!! We call him the bodyguard! Never underestimate a chicken, our ladies can stand up for themselves. Ask our new kitten! Lol! :)

Well, at first my dog didn't quite know what to make of the chickens, but after a few days, they gradually got used to each other. Let me give you a bit of advice, if you feed the chickens in front of the dog, feed your dog as you do so. On the first day we had the chickens, we separated the garden (one half for hens, other for dog) and then eventually brought those parts together. Now the dog and the chickens Rome together! Hope this helped you, good luck!..x:)

Lol my hens trying to move in with my dog

My dog trying to get in the coop:D

Probably looking for chicken poop. My dog hunts for treasure in the yard all day long. She could care less about the eggs. It's the poop she's after
sickbyc.gif

Yes mortie hit the nail on the head ha ha hunting for treasure!!!
Indeed I call my dog the Hoover as u would never know the chickens have been running round the garden

Thanks for all the great posts. My new Brittany pup is over 7 months old and we haven't lost any of our 8 hens thus far. (Of course they are mad enough since he came that the hens also have not given us any eggs.)
And from your posts I gather that time will tell whether my Brittany will continue to behave. (We don't expect to leave him home alone with the chickens in the near future.) I also gather I should give up on trying to stop him from eating the chickens' poop.
My question is, what tricks have you all come up with to not have your dog eat the scraps that are left for the chickens? My chickens free range over our acre yard during the day, and I've been trying to leave the scraps in their pen. No matter how small I leave the sliding-door opening in the chicken pen my 33 lb Brittany has figured out how to wiggle his way in and eat all sorts of stuff that I'd rather not have him eat. Has anyone else tried to keep their dog from the chicken scraps and been successful?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom