Are dried oleander leaves dangerous?

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I used to have oleander bushes on my property but after knowing how deadly they are I cut them all down and killed them, so no danger there. But there are still tiny oleander leaves that are dead where the bushes used to be. I hear some say even the dead leaves are still poisonous, is that true? Should I take a few hours out of my day to remove them as well, or should I just not worry about it. Any info is helpful, thanks.

1647810503066.png

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topic...icity and Risk Factors.,an adult horse or cow).

I used to have oleander bushes on my property but after knowing how deadly they are I cut them all down and killed them, so no danger there. But there are still tiny oleander leaves that are dead where the bushes used to be. I hear some say even the dead leaves are still poisonous, is that true? Should I take a few hours out of my day to remove them as well, or should I just not worry about it. Any info is helpful, thanks.
In my experience chickens are pretty smart about not eating what will make them sick, and oleander tastes terrible so the likelihood they’ll ingest it is small. That being said, all parts of oleander are toxic including the leaves. I don’t think dried or dead changes that.

welp, looks like I have to remove them then, is there any fast way to remove dead leaves? most of my backyard is landscape rock that's just granite rock
Shop vac or leaf blower into a pile for removal.

I've even used the nozzle on my standard vacuum cleaner.

While I can let many so called "toxic" things slide here, like buttercups, bracken fern, tansy ragwort, and things in the "nightshade" family like potato or tomato.. Oleander is in that special category with Atropa Belladonna (aka deadly nightshade) that I WOULD spend the time to clean up as best I could.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom