Are Ducks louder than Chickens?

My runner ducks are way louder than my hens. They're also way more destructive - they dig holes anytime the ground is wet, they turn everything into mud. Chickens make a mess around plants, but the ducks will outright eat them to the ground. Geese are both louder, and more destructive than ducks. Drakes are quiet, roosters are not.

With the chickens, I have to do a lot of raking mulch back around my fruit trees. With the ducks, I have to do a lot of filling small holes, reseeding grass, and cleaning the mud out of things.

I like the ducks, but if I was concerned at all about keeping a strictly landscaped backyard, they'd be gone.

Last edited:
OMG! My neighbor 2 houses up has a rooster and I'm ready to kill it. ALL night long he crows! He crows during the day too but really picks up once it gets dark and only stops from 11pm-2am. I can hear him inside my house.

That neighbor also has 10 or so chickens and I rarely hear them. Everyone once in a while one will start clucking but it isn't bad at all. My 4 girls are atill pretty young but they have a constant chatter going while free ranging my back yard. When they are in my garage I can hear them if I stand out front. I don't think they are loud but only one of them is a loud talker. My boys would talk too but they weren't nearly as chatty. My chatter box is my white layer.

My neighbors didn't even know we had my male ducks till they were 5 months old. He saw them while hanging Christmas lights. They were pekins which are suppose to be pretty loud, maybe because they were boys no one noticed? Anyway... You will find out soon how loud they are.
Our Rooster starts to crow around 4:30 am hardly ever during the daytime but he would be consider a senior citizen [going on 6yrs old] so maybe that is why it's too tiring to crow alot. lol

Now my hens can really raise a ruckus when egg laying comes around I am thankful we don't have neighbors. i have a few hens who can really belt out the egg laying song.
tongue.png

Truth be told, even though ducks can quack rather loudly, I still prefer 'em over chickens. Even the loudest duck hen will go to sleep relatively early at night and will stay quiet until you let them out of the coop to forage. But a rooster will crow...and crow....and crow...all the time. All. The. Time.
eh, sometimes.. i own A LOT of roosters they can sure get going but most times don't go on and on but it's a myth they only crow at dawn lol

TOtally depends on the breed, i have some ducks here who are loud(buffs, calls, Pekin) others who are not(scovies) both can be equally destructive!

Last edited:
I know muscovies are quiet almost completely silent, but it seems like thats the only breed that is!

Not quite silent, the ducks do Honk, hiss, trill, coo etc... they are just generally not into using loud voices. Most ducks are mallard derived so use quacking as their method of communication, some breeds are less chatty whereas others are notoriously loud(my calls for instance)

Chickens on the whole are more quiet unless an egg song is in place or the roosters are off on some "Alert" call, they only chatter away to each other vs the ducks who will bellow across acres to be heard.

Back
Top Bottom