Are ducks messier than chickens?

Which fowl is messier?

• Ducks (waterfowl)

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Chickens (gamebirds)

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
I think it depends a lot on what type of set-up you have. We only keep ducks (because they are clearly the superior backyard poultry in just about every way) so we don't have a direct day-by-day comparison. I will say that I would not consider ducks particularly messy based on the amount of chores required to keep them clean and healthy.

We use the deep litter method in their duckhouse and have a covered run. They have two fenced pastures and spend at least a couple hours a day free ranging our four acres and swimming. The daily chores involve less than a 10 minute spot clean 2x/day at feeding time plus 2x/day water changes and feed. Once or twice a year, we do a full clean-out, which coincides with compost day.

In exchange, we get phenomenal eggs, better compost and great foraging help that has slashed our garden slug and snail population. The icing on the cake is how darn personable and charismatic they are. I wonder if folks who find ducks so much messier than chickens are maybe trying to keep their ducks like chickens?

You're totally right. For me ducks aren't messy, just a slight bit.

I think it depends a lot on what type of set-up you have. We only keep ducks (because they are clearly the superior backyard poultry in just about every way) so we don't have a direct day-by-day comparison. I will say that I would not consider ducks particularly messy based on the amount of chores required to keep them clean and healthy.

We use the deep litter method in their duckhouse and have a covered run. They have two fenced pastures and spend at least a couple hours a day free ranging our four acres and swimming. The daily chores involve less than a 10 minute spot clean 2x/day at feeding time plus 2x/day water changes and feed. Once or twice a year, we do a full clean-out, which coincides with compost day.

In exchange, we get phenomenal eggs, better compost and great foraging help that has slashed our garden slug and snail population. The icing on the cake is how darn personable and charismatic they are. I wonder if folks who find ducks so much messier than chickens are maybe trying to keep their ducks like chickens?

That video is adorable!

Back
Top Bottom