Are ducks messier than chickens?

Which fowl is messier?

• Ducks (waterfowl)

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Chickens (gamebirds)

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
I mean that it basically disappears into the grass because it has so much liquid. I don't ever get poop stuck in my shoes when I go out into the pen. I have only had experience with one chicken and she left mounds of poop everywhere. She and the ducklings trod on it and there was actually a poop mat out there completely obscuring one section of grass. I had to be very careful where I stepped. Now she was confined to a smaller area in order to be protected to raise the babies. I'm sure it would have been better if she was free ranging out in a field or something

Last edited:
Ducks are so much more messier than chickens. My grandma has chickens, they aren't even half as messy as ducks. Even at show they created the biggest mess I had to clean the cage every 3 hours and couldn't go longer, a total mess compared to the chickens.

I still love them!
1f60d.png

Last edited:
Ducks are definitely messier when they are in a brooder or cage, or any very small contained space, but they are so worth the mess. Actually, when I'm in my duck pen I don't think I've ever stepped in there "mess" like I did with our chickens. There mess seems to be mostly in the pool.

Last edited:
Ducks are messy. My Rouen keeps herself clean but muddys the water bowl too quickly. Other than that can’t complain. Provide fresh every day.

My ducks are soooo messy! I have a huge wheelbarrow that I fill to the brim with wet, poopy straw every single day. I clean their barn meticulously every day and the next morning it looks like they had a frat party in there.

I think it depends a lot on what type of set-up you have. We only keep ducks (because they are clearly the superior backyard poultry in just about every way) so we don't have a direct day-by-day comparison. I will say that I would not consider ducks particularly messy based on the amount of chores required to keep them clean and healthy.

We use the deep litter method in their duckhouse and have a covered run. They have two fenced pastures and spend at least a couple hours a day free ranging our four acres and swimming. The daily chores involve less than a 10 minute spot clean 2x/day at feeding time plus 2x/day water changes and feed. Once or twice a year, we do a full clean-out, which coincides with compost day.

In exchange, we get phenomenal eggs, better compost and great foraging help that has slashed our garden slug and snail population. The icing on the cake is how darn personable and charismatic they are. I wonder if folks who find ducks so much messier than chickens are maybe trying to keep their ducks like chickens?

Back
Top Bottom