Are ducks smart enough to get out of the cold?

No, but I just keep thinking about how liquid water is near 30F (I know, it's colder if it's not pure water, but not by that much, maybe), so even 25F is warmer than the 15F we have here right now, so I can see the attraction. And a few ice drops on their feathers, if they are in good condition, may not bother them so much.

I looked this up in "Domestic Duck Production, Science and Practice." It is very technical and often hard for me to understand, but I believe what they are saying about natural ventilation when in an enclosure 'Heat from birds and fermenting litter increases air temperature, reduces air pressure and increases air buoyancy.' So what I believe they are saying is ducks in a protected situation with layers of litter over there droppings are able to stay warmer in colder weather then just being out in it.

It also stated: 'Mature ACCLIMATIZED ducks exposed to dry bulb temperatures below about -8C (about 20 degrees?) for sustained periods are unable to produce sufficient heat to maintain their body temperature and gradually become hypothermic and die. ' Book does not qualify 'sustained periods.'

It got 17 Degrees overnight here in Oregon (warming to 30-35 during the day) for about 2 week. My ducks appeared to handle it fine. They are housed in large chain-link dog pens with plastic sheeting around to break any wind. They have layers of straw and a small dog house in each pen which should hold in more heat. If it ever got below 17 degrees, I'd now move them to the barn. I have no electric this far out, so using a heating lamp is not an option.

My sister told me to go to the river and see if there were any frozen or dead ducks around, then I'd know they should be move to the barn--I know she is kidding. OK, I did it anyway, and there were no dead ducks, just quacking happy ducks.

I hope this helps.

That section is poorly written. ..lower critical temp refers to when they cannot maintainbody temp without increasing metabolism (thermal neutral zone). Lower lethal is when they cannot generate enough metabolic heat to maintain body temp. For mallard derivatives in good condition and feather, I wouldn't worry until a week of sub teens.

Clint

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom