Are ducks too loud to keep in the city?

phoenixbantam

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
I live in the city of West Palm Beach, the house is on maybe .25 of an acre... we currently have chickens in a 10x10 coop.
I was wondering how loud a duck would be? How often do they quack?
I was thinking about a cayuga...

If you are bothered by quacking, then don't get it. However, I'm guessing you aren't, but you are worried about neighbors. If that is the case, then don't worry, so long as you are following city laws. Ducks are no louder nor more consistent than dogs, just different. We have four welsh harlequins on 1/10th of an acre (yes, that small - 900 sq. ft. house) in a city.

my pekins are basically always quiet when loose. when they are in their kennel and want fed the female can honk good(til fed) and the drake just quacks quietly. don't know about other breeds but my male pekin has a soft quack ALWAYS and its the female that can honk if she wants attention(used to being let out in a.m.,will honk then,used to getting food on time, will honk then)

My Welsh Harlequins can get loud at times, but they still aren't as loud as the neighbor's dogs. My whole lot is only 7200 sq ft
big_smile.png

Our runner ducks are relatively quiet unless they are very excited or upset about something (usually when broody) which is very important for me because our ducks live indoors. They'll talk quietly to each other throughout the day but nothing too loud other than a random quack here and there. When they do get loud, it's usually because they know it time for their bath or treats (their internal clocks are insanely good so they know their schedule without the aid of a clock) or they heard me come home and they are guiding me back to the flock (no joke!). They always quiet down as soon as they get what they want (spoiled brats. hehe).

When one of them is in a bad mood (usually hormonal and broody) the duck might keep quacking loudly. If it gets out of hand, we'll take the noisy duck and put it in a dark room. The darkness kicks in its instinct to be quiet at night as not to attract predators. I've only had to do that twice in 6 months.

Daisy only quacks when she is startled. which isn't often or excited. which isn't often.. She did quack every morning for while when she was younger to be let out in the mornings.. She is now quiet and waits for me to come out around 8 or 9 to let her and stanley out of night pen.. They will be a year old may 18.. My second female which I lost last month to infection hardly ever quacked.. My ducks are Welsh harlequins.. I had a pair of cayugas and they were both quiet. Only ever heard daisy.

My Khaki Campbells are very obnoxious in the early morning when they want to be let out of their house. Right now they are quacking at about 6:20 (before it is even really light out). I am concerned that my neighbors will start complaining. I try to bribe them with eggs in advance.

Back
Top Bottom