Are Easter Eggers or Ameraucans good setters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4H kids and mom, Mar 16, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I plan to hatch out a batch of chicks each season, but I'm not sure about the incubator thing. I was hoping to be able to let a hen or two go broody for long enough to hatch out a batch and then bring them in to brood if I have to. Anyone done this with any success, or will it not work? I just worry I'd forget to turn the incubating eggs or if we had a power failure (which when living in the middle of no where can really suck because it sometimes take a very long time to get it restored.) and loosing a whole batch. I plan to have a flock of 10-12 hens and 1-2 roos out of the 27 two-weekers I'm raising up now. (the extra males will go to new homes or to our freezer)

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Not usually, but there can be exceptions to any rule.
    Silkies, and Cochins are supposed to be great setters.

3. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Mine were always good setters,I guess it depends on the strain.

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

My ameraucana are excellent setters.

1 person likes this.
  5. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I have 6 EE's and a variety of others (no silkies or cochins) and I've never had one go broody in 3 years. I had one golden laced wyandotte that thought about it, but she only wanted to "babysit the eggs part time" and gave up after a week. Not even my Buff Orp would brood for me. [​IMG]

6. Ricochet Ranch

Ricochet Ranch Rest in Peace 1957-2007

Jan 11, 2007
    I've had 3 Ameracauna hens for 3-4 years and they have never been setters. On the other hand, my japanese BTW hen will hatch rocks given the chance.
    Peace, Penny

7. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Out of the 4 EE that I have only one went broody one me. But let me tell you she was serious about hatching air.[​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, pure bred Ameraucana are known for broodiness and if your EEs have ameraucana blood, they could as well. I have a few EEs who are dedicated broodies every year.

Jody

9. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see. We have the coop done, but not the nest boxes. I suppose they dont really need the nest boxes for a few months yet anyway, right? From what the hatchery told me, the EE's are mixed with Ameraucana and/or Araucana. I currently have two chicks that are 'rumpless' and have tufts on their cheeks. Everyone else is tailed with either a clean head, muffs, or beards or both. The Ameraucana (I am told) are true Ameraucana, and I can 'sort of' tell who's who now. I dont have any 'true' Araucana though. Well, maybe with a larger laying flock I'll get lucky and get a good setter or two? Fingers Crossed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by