Are easter eggers picked on more because they are so docile?

shaylee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Hamilton, Il
I have several easter eggers with my mix of chickens (buff orpington, cochins, various banties, RIR, etc) Are they picked on more, maybe not allowed to eat like the others? I notice all my chickens seem to be very fit and great, but the easter eggers seem to be more behind and not as healthy built as the others. None are sick, but I just took 2 of them and put them in their own pen with a bowl of cooked eggs, oats, flax, and some cereal and fruit. They started gobbling it right up. My chickens have a 20 by fifty plus area outside and are never confined in their building. They come and go as they please, have constant supply of water, especially now that I made two 5 gallon waterers for them, have food available at all times. They are kept very clean, no animals stressing them out either. I got them as babies in Feb/March. I am making a tractor just for that breed this weekend, but can they be getting bullied by the others. The two I pulled today are pullets. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure. I've heard EEs are much more dominant than Orps. I would think your buff would be on the bottom of the pecking order, if that was the case...

Someone else will help, I'm sure, but I wanted to wish you good luck on finding a solution.
smile.png

Maybe it is because these two were probably in the last batch from the farm store and they are a bit smaller. I dunno. I separated them for the next couple of days and will feed them special. I dont want to loose them.

My 'canaus are BRUTAL, in the past 4 months they have killed 3 o' thier own and they are all (but two layers) under 5 months of age.

my EE is higher on the ladder than my buff - but they are both the oldest and tend to be in charge so far.

I second that. We have 'twin' araucunas and they seem to be just a little more in charge then the others. The Buff though, likes to roost and fly a little more than them.

But they are all happy together. Our youngest, we were told is an araucuna also,(although she looks so different than the others) is more docile and stays back a little more. She also seems to 'cry' the most.​

I have two EE pullets in my mixed flock of 11 pullets, two older hens and two young roos. They hold their own just fine. The two buffs seem to be the most likely to be pushed around but that's rare.

We're "chicken sitting" for neighbors & their ameraucanas are the lowest ranked chickens. It seems to go
#1 black star
#2-3 RIR
#4-6 'caunas

Our BR seems to be #1 but the black star is a close second.

My Buffs are the flock leaders for sure. They push around the RIR's - two of which are older than they are - the BSL's and the two new EE's. My EE's get picked on because they are the youngest but I think they will be just fine. My BSL's have always been hated by the rest of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom