Are EE’s Prone To Heat Stress?

grace_kausyla328

Chirping
May 4, 2021
Wolcott, Connecticut
My 2 EE’s seem to be prone to overheating more than anyone else in my flock. Since it’s getting nice and warm out, I notice the have their wings held out and they are panting most of the time even if it’s only in the 60’s while everyone else is sunbathing for foraging like normal. I give them frozen snacks like strawberries or cucumber as much as I can when it’s hot but I worry about them. I just would like to know if anyone else notices this with their Easter eggers. I understand they are all different so maybe mine just aren’t very heat hardy. Let me know what you think:) The photo below is of my little Annie❤️

Attachments

• 57BD333B-96DD-48B8-8A19-0C297B78CA31.jpeg
    57BD333B-96DD-48B8-8A19-0C297B78CA31.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 7
they are panting most of the time even if it’s only in the 60’s while everyone else is sunbathing for foraging like normal.
There sounds like something is potentially wrong here. In these temps,, (60's) they should not be panting.
I had 3EE, and none of them panted even at 90°F. They always had plenty of shade available all Summer.
Lets see what others suggest,about this,

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

There sounds like something is potentially wrong here. In these temps,, (60's) they should not be panting.
I had 3EE, and none of them panted even at 90°F. They always had plenty of shade available all Summer.
Lets see what others suggest,about this,

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you! Their run always has a decent amount of shade. I will be having them seen by one of the veterinarians I work with soon so I will definitely mention this to her.

My EE Aurora starts to feel the heat when it gets into the mid 80s. It is a little sooner than my orpington but not a lot. In my experience 60° is too cold for them to be overheating. However if it is a drastic change in temp that could explain it. A rapid jump of 20° can lead to heat stress in chickens no matter the temperature. Did the temp jump suddenly?

Here's my EE Aurora
20210512_191010.jpg

I just got EE's as chicks nearly 10 weeks ago, so they haven't experienced really hot weather yet as we have here in the Australian summer. I have three other chickens (not EEs) that start exhibiting the heat stress signs at about 30 degrees celsius (about 86 degrees f). I know they are a diffrent breed (probbaly better suited to the heat), but it seems alot too cool to be over heating in my opinion.

We have 7 EE hens. 6 of them have been totally fine in the humid Tennessee weather. It’s been in the 90’s for about a week, and they’re good as long as the waterer is full and they have access to a shady ventilated area..

With that being said..1 of our girls is a drama Queen. If it gets above 75 or so, she’s opening her beak and holding her wings out like she’s dying. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 🤷🏼‍♀️

most don’t have large combs and wattles to circulate blood and cool themselves down the same way chickens with larger combs can. Large combs and wattles allow blood to be cooled by external factors when it passes through veins and capillaries. So yes, in a way EEs can be prone to heat stress.

Back
Top Bottom