Are EE suppose to be smaller?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoccerMomof7, Apr 5, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay when I hatched eggs from my girls I hatched 1 EE egg, well now 2 weeks later the little one is half the size of the other chicks! I am beginning to wonder if this little guy will ever grow, is that normal?

2. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ha! I have just the opposite -- my EE is HUGE!! At just over 2 weeks she is outweighing all the other breeds including a BA and a SLW --two pretty heavy birds! Maybe they just come in all sizes?! Good luck with your little one!

3. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Now I am really worried about my little guy!

4. jesd

jesd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
  5. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Sometimes they just have a failure to thrive. I got 200 Golden comets, and 199 of them were growing, getting feathers, jumping and all, but the one little guy, he was smaller (much smaller) and not as energetic. I put him in the brooder with my other chicks that were younger, but he died a couple of days later....sorry, I know, not hopeful.
    My EE's are standard, and they are the same size as everybody else, no, if they are bantam, that would explain it.

6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well he's made it 2 weeks already, and there is a big difference in size but he was always smaller then the others, but both parents are standard.

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I had one like that, I even had to buy him his own banty buddy after a couple weeks because his bigger siblings were picking on him. He eventually grew up to be a HUGE rooster. His still friend is still his banty buddy... who also turned out to be a rooster! [​IMG]

Nancy

8. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:My 1000th post Yay!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by