1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are EE's good layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Love my Critters!, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I just got 4 EE's yesterday. I was wanting to get a good layer that I knew of like a red sex link, but DH fell in love with the little EE cheeps. Do they lay well? At about what age do they start laying? Thanks ahead of time for any info. it is appreciated.

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mine do!

3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Well they certainly are cute but from my own experience and what I have read on here....they make you wait for those green eggs! I guess good things come to those who wait. Mine were the last to lay out of them all. BUT they are the sweetest of them all and the whole families favorite.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I have banty EEs and they lay really well. I know a couple who has standard EE's and they sell the eggs at the Des Moines Farmer's Market. They lay very well for them also.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Since EEs are mixed breeds, you cannot really make a general statement about them as layers. My Ameraucanas and my EEs are good layers, though.

6. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    Mine lay very well and were the first to lay - around 21 weeks. They lay just as well as my RIR's.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I get about 4 eggs a week from mine.

8. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Thanks guys, I bought them from McMurray Hatchery and they are said to be Americaunas. I just said EE because I thaught they were the same. Is there a difference?

9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE girlies started laying at about 24 weeks and they laid very well.

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would say I get an egg from my EE every other day on average, some of the ee bantams lay one every 3 days.

But the colors are so fun its worth it. I have some very steady layers in my flock to supplement [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by