Are EE's good layers?

Mine were the first to lay (beat my RIRs and WLs), and my first EE to lay -- her name is Hope -- laid 6 eggs in her first week of laying. And she has kept it up, and a couple days ago laid me a gorgeous, huge blue double yolker! (And she's only been laying a month or so.)

love.gif
I love my EEs. They're from Belt Hatchery, and they're good-natured, great layers, and pretty to look at!

Love my Critters! :

Thanks guys, I bought them from McMurray Hatchery and they are said to be Americaunas. I just said EE because I thaught they were the same. Is there a difference?

nope​

Yes, there is a difference between EEs and true Ameraucanas. Do a search on this forum for discussions about that. All hatcheries whose birds I've seen sell EEs. You have to go to a breeder to get a true Ameraucana. Still, they are both great birds.

Thanks everyone! I am getting so excited to get some big eggs. I have silkies now, great layers, but they hord all of them to hatch. My daughter is 5 and is going to DIE when she sees the first blue/green egg. Also the EE chicks have such beautiful faces. I will try to get some pics. Thanks again!!

Mine lay all winter when my other birds slow down. I think that just like dogs, chicken mutts are better.

Americaunas have to conform to certian color standards and have to breed true. An easter egger are Americaunas that don't meet color standards or don't breed true.... Basically they are both mutts, but through selective breeding a standard has been developed for Americaunas.

Mine standard EEs have laid nice, large, green eggs all fall and winter (5 or 6 eggs per week each). They do take a little longer to get going than the production breeds, though.

Two out of my 8 hens are EEs. Both are very docile, but one is much friendlier than the other. The friendlier of the 2 started laying at 22 weeks, where the other has not begun yet. This EE started within days of my Barred Rocks. Still waiting for my GLW, 2 polish and BO hens to start!

Back
Top Bottom