Are eggs safe to eat after spraying with permerthin?

bassfishrman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
I have a mite problem in my coop and intend to spray with 10% permerthin at 1oz per gallon of water.

Will my eggs be safe to eat after I spray my chickens and coop area?

Any tips on spraying the chickens (do's and don'ts) is appreciated.

I always spray the vent area, under each wing, under the back feathers, under the chest feathers, and around the base of the neck. Make sure that in each area you get to the skin.

Since it is sprayed on skin and not ingested the eggs will not be affected. I would wash the eggs to remove any spray from the outside that transfers from the hen to the egg.

Matt
Morganton, NC

I would also spray after they have laid for the day, if you can. That way things have a chance to dry before eggs are laid again the next day.

With any kind of medication, you can always wait a few days before starting to eat the eggs. It is always suggested that you do not hatch eggs from chickens on medications because it can cause deformities in the offspring. Personally, if it causes defects in the chicks hatched from the eggs of medicated chickens, I really don't want to eat the egg myself. But, that is just a personal preference of mine.

If it were me, I would wait a few days after medicating, I can always spend those days eating the "reserves" in the fridge.

-Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom