Are eggs stuck in the mud safe to eat??

tnewton

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
We found two eggs today nearly buried in the mud. We've only been getting eggs for about a week and a half so they shouldn't be too old. With all the rain to wash off the bloom, though, will these eggs be safe to eat? The shell is a little discolored, even after washing with warm water. We did the float test and they sit solidly on the bottom, but I'm wondering if bacteria could have entered the eggs.

If you don't feel like it's worth the risk than don't do it. I don't think it's worth getting sick over it. Is this common that your chickens lay them in the mud?

They're duck eggs. :) But no, we haven't found them in the mud before. In the straw, out in the middle of the grass, but not in the mud. We don't know if these were the first eggs laid and we just didn't see them, or if they are more recent.

They're duck eggs. :) But no, we haven't found them in the mud before. In the straw, out in the middle of the grass, but not in the mud. We don't know if these were the first eggs laid and we just didn't see them, or if they are more recent.
I'd be worried about bacteria entering the egg if it's been in mud. I'd toss.

Back
Top Bottom