Are extra large eggs usually quitters?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krcote, Feb 6, 2009.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Just completed my first hatch (!) and got 24 chicks out of 31 mutt eggs. I think I did pretty well for my first time. Of the 7 that didn't hatch, 5 were very very large buff orp X's, and 2 EE x's. I thought I had read somewhere that both of these types were difficult to hatch. I opened them all up and the very large eggs all had 99% developed chicks- maybe a day away from pipping? The EE's were smaller and less developed. 3 or so of the very large eggs did hatch a few days ago without a problem but for the others I was wondering, are extremely large eggs difficult to hatch?

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Haven't hatched any yet here, so I can't answer. But I'll bump you up!

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Sometimes the huge eggs are double yolkers/twins and those are extremly hard to hatch. THey usually die in the shell.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    That is first time I have heard of that so I am interested to hear what's up. With them being so far along in development I wonder what happened.

AL

5. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I have hatched large eggs before, no problems. I don't think they are.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Perhaps you could let the larger ones go a little longer?

7. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i myself do not put eggs that are bigger or small for this just makes for a hard hatch, don't know why but every time i try one that is that way it does not hatch or if it does something is wrong with the chick, and i hatch about 200 a month. william

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Thanks William, with hatching over 200 a month I guess you would know! Still don't understand why but I think I will try some of the XL ones again this next hatch and see if it really is a trend.

9. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i hatch eggs all year and i know the smaller eggs have smaller chicks i dont know about large eggs never paid no mind

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Buff Orpington eggs are not hard to hatch.

Generally, setting eggs that are either undersize or oversize is not recommended. At best, hatch rates are likely to suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by